Why is my CPU dropping down to 3.6Ghz?

solarity

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
So I tried over clocking my system using two different tutorials and when I look at my computer properties it says 4.4ghz. When I open up "Core Temp" it first says 4.4, then drops down to 3.6ghz. I run prime95 and the max temp I have seen is 55*c

Why isn't it staying at 4.4Ghz?

System:
Cooler Master 120mm Liquid cooler
Gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
go into safe mode, and make sure you got it all(the easytune.) maybe try a ccleaner.
then, restart go into your bios, default that. restart windows make sure everything is ok. the begin your oc anew. from the bios!

solarity

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
So I managed to get it to 4.4Ghz some how. I disabled Turbo, set the multiplier manually to 44 and vcore to 1.23. I ran prime 95 and had mid 60*c for a couple hours. I played a game for a few hours and noticed an improvement in FPS. After that I changed the vcore to 1.25 and tried 45 and 46 on the multiplier. It looks like I ran into the multiplier does not take effect as it was showing 4.4ghz when I started tests again.

Do I need to increase the voltage more and is there a document w/ voltage ranges to multipliers? After running prime95 all night the max core got up to about 74* and it looks like the average was around mind 60's still. I am still running prime95 and will check it after work. I don't see any WHEA errors in the log files. From what I have read going over 1.3 voltage range can be bad.

Please correct me if I am wrong:
1) Multiplier increases the speed by 100mhz
2) VCore increases power to the CPU, if you are having stability issues, while at the same time adding heat
3) You cooler helps reduce the heat supplied by the OC and the increased voltage, though there is a limit of how much heat can be drawn away as well as IB chip limitations that can vary from chip to chip.

solarity

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Thanks for the info, what cooler are you using? I would at least like to get to 4.5, maybe even 4.7ghz, if my cpu is one of the good ones.

Also I have read that over 1.3v is not good as well. Is this because of heat or because of something else?

solarity

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Strange, according to that doc from intel it says the following:

LL

Does this mean that you should never exceed 1.52v and that 1.3-1.45v is okay? If you have good cooling?

Also I have a gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h and not an asus. Though I can use this as reference.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah i saw that as well. guess if you have the cooling, you can go higher.

I am using a 212 evo.

Yeah just use as a reference. may want to google and see if there is a guide more suited to your board.

good luck!

solarity

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I found the problem to my issue. For some reason it looks like I have to completely shut down the system for the changes to take effect. I have a stable 4.4Ghz setup, though I am still working on getting it up to 4.6Ghz. Did you do anything else other than vcore and multiplier? I started a new thread about this, separate topic as this one has been pretty much answered. Thanks for your help!