Dual Monitor dead on arrival

LostVegas

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Recently I had to disconnect one of my dual monitors, but wasn't in a rush to replace it because I only use the dualies for graphics programs, with work on the big monitor and tools on the smaller one to the left.

When I hooked up the secondary monitor again it by the system wouldn't recognize it.

I right-click on the #2 (dim) monitor in the settings, click on "attached" and right clicked to click on "identify" and there's no identity as Monitor #2.

I click on "apply" and the screen goes dark and comes back to the Display properties Settings - and the #2 monitor is again dim.

What am I doing wrong?

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Plug your second monitor into your first monitors slot to see if it still works. then plug your first monitor (that you know is works) into the second slot to see if the slot is dead. Other than that it sounds like you are doing the right thing to try and enable the monitor.

LostVegas

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I've tried that, doesn't work. In fact, when the system came on, both monitors would show all the Intel and Microsoft splash pages.

In fact, things got even worse: Using the click/drag technique, I dragged Monitor 2 (in Display - Settings) to the left of monitor one. Got a message something like "To activate (or whatever), you must reboot. Reboot now?" I clicked "Okay."

And the computer died.

It came back with the Intel BIOS message, the tests etc, the Windows XP splash page, but the "Welcome" page didn't come up. What came up was a black screen, and a rectangle where the cursor arrow should have been. And no little hand with the pointing finger.

In frustration I pulled the ATI Radeon card and am back to square one, using the Intel onboard vidiot driver and I/O.

What kills me is that it functioned perfectly until I reduced to a single monitor for a single week.

But thanks for your idea. If you can think of something else, I'd love to hear from you. I'm really desperate, insofar as most of my complex graphics programs require two screens - one for work, the other for tool sets.

Cordially,

Roy

LostVegas

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I suspect there's some incompatibility between the HydraVision driver and XP. That is, everything functions normally at the hardware level, in that the Intel splash page, the BIOS memory etc check, and the Windows XP splash page all come up - on both monitors - but the screen goes black and has a rectangle cursor (memories of my old S-100 buss CP/M days).

Perhaps it has to do with conflicting interrupts.

But you're probably right. I'll uninstall then reinstall the HydraVision driver and see if that works.

Thanks very much, by the way, for having taken the time. I'm in your debt.

Roy