New motherboard, cannot post, no beep

izandi

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hello everybody,

I've read this before and make sure I do all the step correctly.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-video-problems

I build this from start, I have:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435
Motherboard: Asrock M3A785GM-LE/128M
RAM: KINGSTON Value RAM KVR1333D3N9/2G
CPU cooler: Stock
Video Card: Onboard
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W - http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738
Hard drive(s): 1 sata

The system cannot post or boot, and even beep. I don't know what's wrong. Please help, thanks a lot!

Solution
Technically, a mobo plugged into power, a GPU and monitor should at least get to the POST screen. Won't complete it obviously, but it'll get to it.

If it doesn't, it's either GPU, Monitor, PSU, MOBO or cabling issue.

At this point we've eliminated Cabling. If the case fan IS connected, fans and LEDS are fine, and there are no beeps, then we'll test the other possibilities.

First test would to plug in another monitor/make sure monitor has right input. IE, you're connecting using a DVI cable, make sure monitor is on DVI input.

PSU- if you or a friend has another PSU you can borrow plug that in and give it a try.

If neither works, then we're at a MOBO issue since you have integrated video.
At this point, you'd need to either buy...

banthracis

Distinguished
Ok, for a system to beep it needs to have a connected case speaker first. I assume you don't have this.

Now, when you power on, do you hear fans go on, leds light up, and do you have any image at all? or are you pressing the power button and nothing is happening?

Also, the linked sticky should solve most problems. Tell us the results of the various things you tried as per that thread and what the results were.

Specifically:
Have you made sure all the power cables to the MOBO are in fact connected? Many people miss that 4pin connector in their first builds.

have you tried breadboarding?

izandi

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for the response

The speaker is already connected.

The power is on, the fans go on but no beep, no image at the monitor.
And the cables, I've read and try each step carefully.

banthracis

Distinguished
Technically, a mobo plugged into power, a GPU and monitor should at least get to the POST screen. Won't complete it obviously, but it'll get to it.

If it doesn't, it's either GPU, Monitor, PSU, MOBO or cabling issue.

At this point we've eliminated Cabling. If the case fan IS connected, fans and LEDS are fine, and there are no beeps, then we'll test the other possibilities.

First test would to plug in another monitor/make sure monitor has right input. IE, you're connecting using a DVI cable, make sure monitor is on DVI input.

PSU- if you or a friend has another PSU you can borrow plug that in and give it a try.

If neither works, then we're at a MOBO issue since you have integrated video.
At this point, you'd need to either buy a new mobo to test (try a place with a good return policy =D), or take the PC to a shop where they have other mobo's to test.

Another (unlikely) possibility is that the mobo for some odd reason has the integrated graphics disabled. You'd need to get past a POST to change this obviously, but you could try plugging in a discrete GPU if you have one lying around just to test this out.

Solution
Actually, banthracis is right about the unlikely possiibility. According to your motherboard manual:
"Primary Graphics Adapter
This item will switch the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video
card. It allows you to select the type of Primary VGA in case of multiple
video controllers. The default value of this feature is [PCI]. Configuration
options: [PCI], [Onboard] and [PCI Express]."

Unless my translation is wrong, your mobo is set to display from a PCI card.

izandi

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

I only have CRT Monitor, it's D-sub and I correctly plug it into the onboard vga, I've tested it with my laptop first and it's works. But I will try another monitor today.

PSU, yeah I'm afraid this is the problem, because at the manufacturer website's wrote:
["Type: Intel Form Factor ATX 12V V2.3"] I will try another PSU today

I will give it a try for the the motherboard.

Thanks banthracis, at least I know what i've to do today

izandi

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yes, T_T. It's motheboard issue, and I have to buy and try a new one