NVidia's 3D Vision and the LG W2486L 24"

daemon9

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing nVidia's 3D Vision Glasses, but I'm not sure if my monitor is compatible. The nVidia site has a list of compatible monitors, tho it's a very short list. And it seems like all your monitor needs to be capable of is 120hz. I believe my monitor, the LG W2486L, is 135hz. I'm not sure if that makes it compatible or not. Does anyone have a clue?

Solution

I wouldn't go with a monitor to just not be completely sure. Although the LG is still a pretty good monitor for just regular uses. If you really want 3D and you have a Nvidia card that is capable of 3D you are going to have to be willing to drop around $600. This is the package bundle that Nvidia recommends you get. If you can find a monitor that is 120Hz, you might want to make sure it says 3D support. There are not many of those monitors available. There are 3D TVs coming out that if you wanted to you could hook your computer...

daemon9

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah I pulled that number from the video bandwidth...since I didn't see a "refresh rate" listed in the specs...and I wasn't sure if "Max Sync Rate (V x H)" was the same thing as "refresh rate".

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

I wouldn't go with a monitor to just not be completely sure. Although the LG is still a pretty good monitor for just regular uses. If you really want 3D and you have a Nvidia card that is capable of 3D you are going to have to be willing to drop around $600. This is the package bundle that Nvidia recommends you get. If you can find a monitor that is 120Hz, you might want to make sure it says 3D support. There are not many of those monitors available. There are 3D TVs coming out that if you wanted to you could hook your computer up too, but they won't be too widespread for another 3-6 months or so. 3D is expensive, if you really want it go for it, but not many games support it and only some movies coming out are going to support too.

Solution

daemon9

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I did a bit more digging on the interwebs and found that my monitor is NOT compatible, since it is not "true" 120hz. Apparently my monitor has two instances of a 60hz refresh rate, unlike actual 3D ready monitor/tv's that have just one instance of 120hz. This is what makes a monitor/tv 3D vision-ready. Also, there is a port on these 3D vision-ready monitors that allows you to connect the emitter needed to view content in 3D.

daemon9

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah...pretty much if your monitor isn't listed there, it's not compatible. I'm a bit disappointed that my LG monitor isn't compatible. Instead of going LCD/LED, I'd have gone 3D.