Sign in with
Your question

Cleaning a computer

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2010 4:12:38 PM

I'm not sure this is the exact place to post this, if not mods will you move it to where this thread would be located?

How do you go about cleaning your computer? How often should one clean a computer? Do you use compressed gas or a vacuum? Is there anything else special you do for cleaning your computer?

Post your tips and learn from others.

More about : cleaning computer

a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 4:24:17 PM

I rarely need to clean my current PC internally. Once a week or so, I clean the screens, and every 6 months or so, I used canned air to remove the occasional clump of dust.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 7:51:45 PM

You dont use a vaccum because they tend to generate static electricity which can damage your PCs insides. Canned air is the way to go. On my gaming systems about every 3-4 months, on my business systems only once or twice a year.
Related resources
March 24, 2010 7:56:27 PM

dndhatcher said:
You dont use a vaccum because they tend to generate static electricity which can damage your PCs insides. Canned air is the way to go. On my gaming systems about every 3-4 months, on my business systems only once or twice a year.

+1

Avoid vacuum cleaners. A tin of compressed air does make the job a lot easier ;)  I do mine every couple of months or so but luckily I don't have any pets and I don't smoke so I'm not too bad on the dust front. I would imagine people with pets or smokers clean theirs more regularly though.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 9:11:40 PM

A good portion of dust intake is dependent on fan arrangement. I smoke, and have a dog, and dust still really isn't that much of an issue. Could be because my tower is nearly on the floor, and inside an enclosure of my desk. The front and rear is still open though.
!