AMD Radeon hd 7670m 2gb Hybrid graphics card

komail

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
So I got this new laptop that has decent gaming performance, but i would like to squeeze a little more performance out of it by overclocking the graphics card. I wanted to use the overdrive function provided by AMD in the Catalyst Control Center, but I couldn't find it. Is it possible to overclock this graphics card? (AMD Radeon hd 7670m 2gb Hybrid graphics card)
I'm not concerned about messing up this graphics card as I will have to buy a new one if this doesnt work anyways. That being said, I would rather save money and just try and overclock this one.

You do know that it's likely soldered to the motherboard, right? Laptops don't work like desktops - you can't just upgrade them by popping a new part in. If you kill this one you will likely have to buy a new computer, or pay through the nose for repairs.

komail

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I don't know a lot about computers, but the sales rep said that the graphics card was connected via crossfire and only the intel hd graphics card was permanently attached to the motherboard.

Sorry to tell you, but he's blowing it out is rear end - crossfire is a technology that allows you to take two of the same graphics card and make them run together - it's not a connection of any sort.

It's dangerous because it produces more heat - and heat kills things, especially in a laptop where you don't have adequate ventilation and very little heat dissipation.

Usually it's recommended to avoid overclocking laptops because keeping temperatures under control is extremely difficult - an overclock that's perfectly fine on the kitchen table could fry the computer when you take it to bed and set it on your plush blanket.

komail

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
well I know better than to use my laptop in bed without an external fan underneath it, but I see what you mean. :)
So are there any improvements I could make to improve gaming performance? I still haven't upgraded to the maximum 16gb ram. I was thinking about allocating the 8gb to Ramdisk. Would that improve performance on a game like planetside 2. Or would a solid state hdd be better.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know better. :p

A SSD will be an amazing improvement to general productivity - and loading screens will go by faster - but it won't improve gameplay at all. (Neither will having more than 8GB of ram, though.) That being said, I highly recommend you do grab a SSD to throw in there - I put one in a 3-year old netbook that was on its last legs, and it feels as fast as a brand new laptop.