Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 Overclocking noob

Last response: in Overclocking
February 3, 2013 8:55:29 PM

Hi TomsHardware

I have finally tried over clocking my I7920 D0 CPU today. I am not sure I have done everything correctly or should change some other settings. Getting 74-77 C under full load in Prime95. I think I can lower my CPU Voltage as this setting was just to make sure it was stable.
My temps are a little on the warm side but a 3 year old cooler can do that. Thinking about getting a new one and a couple new fans.

Is there anyway to increase the performance of my ram?

ASUS P6T SE
6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600-RAM
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooler

The BIOS Settings I changed. Everything else was left as is.
CPU Ratio 21x
BCLK Frequency 171
DRAM Frequency 1371
UCLK Frequency 2742
QPI Link 6171

CPU Voltage 1.2v
QPI/DRAM Voltage 1.8
IOH Voltage 1.1
IOH PCIE Voltage 1.5
ICH Voltage 1.1
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.62

More about : 920 overclocking noob

February 4, 2013 2:48:22 PM

OK I did something trying to push 3.8 Ghz and I am not sure what happened but when I reverted back to my previous settings that passed the sensor test in Real Temp and Prime95 they weren't stable at all.

Now that was kinda frustrating but I reset my BIOS and used these settings last night I had over 6 hrs under full load in Prime95 before a crash. (One of my fans is on the way out now, making noise) so I will stick to the 3.6Ghz that I can safely achieve. (My temps in the first post were quite high due to the fact my comp is about 5 feet from a wood stove, this morning it was sitting idle at 34-36C in real temp, around ten degrees lower than lastnight at idle)

So these are my settings that worked for six hours in Prime95

Ai Overclocker Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting 21x
Intel Speed Step Disabled
BCLK Freq. 171
PCIE Freq. 100
DRAM Freq. DDR3 - 1371 Mhz
UCLK Freq 2742 Mhz
QPI Link Data Rate 6171 MT/s

Didn't touch DRAM Timing

CPU Voltage 1.2v
CPU PLL Voltage 1.8v
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.2v
IOH Voltage 1.1v
IOH PCIE Voltage 1.5v
ICH Voltage 1.1v
ICH PCIE Voltage [Auto]
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.62v

I think my QPI/DRAM Votlage may be a little low and my DRAM Bus Voltage as well.

Everything else was left as is.

Anything I should change or just leave it?
m
l
February 4, 2013 5:47:51 PM

I just ran IBT 10 times on Standard and had no problems. Temps stayed around 74C with the wood stove heating the house and thus my case.

I am happy and will probably not bother going to the 3.8 Ghz mark until I can get a new location and new fans.
m
l
!