Help updating drivers for Sapphire 5850 & Asus mobo

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi guys. I recently built (a month or so ago) a new gaming rig, and need some help, or advice, with updating my 5850 graphics card, and Asus P7P55D Evo motherboard. Is there a specific process I need to follow, as in update one first, then the other? This was my first ever build, so I don't want to screw anything up before asking.

Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D Evo
i-5 750 Lynnfield
4GB Ripjaws 1600 ram
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850

Everything in this puppy is stock more or less. I haven't tried to tweak anything since I put the box together. Any and all advice is appreciated. Oh, and please talk to me like I'm a 12 year old. hehehe...

Thanks in advance.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
There's no specific order you need to follow.

For the motherboard, unless ASUS has a special utility for online updating, you will need to go their website, check for a newer BIOS, download it, and then put it on a CD/DVD or USB stick (if supported). Then boot into the BIOS and follow the update instructions (should be found in your mobo manual).

For the video card, just go to ATI's website and download the newest version of Catalyst, run the install (in Windows) and you should be good to go.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I would update Catalyst, yes.

As banthracis said, check the motherboard BIOS for updates, then check to see if any of those updates apply to you. If you're not having any problems, and none of the updates are important, don't update.

If you have any questions about whether or not specific updates are important, check back here.