Blue screen while overclocking

elramster

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hey guys, I am overclocking my MSI Radeon HD 7870. I used MSI afterburner and I made a profile with my original clock speeds, profile 1. Then I went to overclock by 10mhz increments. I was at 130, when I upped it to 145 (15 this time) then I played FAr Cry 3 to test it. Everything was running fine, then my system blue screened and restarted. I then lowered it back to 130, played some FC3, but it also blue screened again after about 10 minutes. I then loaded profile 1 with the original clock speeds to prevent further blue screening.

1. What is going wrong? Why is my system blue screening?

2. IS this normal when OC'ing? I realize that you OC until there is a crash, then lower it, but is a BSOD the type of crash described?

I am using the PCWorld method of OC'ing the core clock until it crashes, then finding the max stable setting. Then I set it back to default and repeat the process for the memory clock. Then I oc them both and test again for stability. I didn't even get to finish the core clock because it BSOD on me. Thanks!

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Some cards blue screen, some just crash and the driver restarts but it's normal. Lower your offsetand try again until you can play for an hour with no bug.

- The Brownie