Restore data from old Intel SRT HDD

AMHQ

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hi,
I have a system with an accelerated HDD with a SSD cache using Intel Smart Response Technology.
One week ago the HDD started to sound bad so I decided to replace it with a new drive (reinstalling OS, all programs etc). I made a backup of important files but now I realize that there are some more files on the old drive that I forgot to backup.

The problem is that when I add the old disk into my system it appears as an "Offline Member". Obviously I didn't stop the acceleration of the drive before I disconnected it from the computer. Now I have configured the SSD to accelerate my new HDD.

Is there any way to get hold of the files on the old disk?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and have a Z68 chipset on an Asus P8Z68-M PRO MB.

Thanks for any help!

sk1939

Distinguished
When you add the old disk, go into the start menu and search for "Administrative Tools". Then select "Computer Management" and go to "Storage" -> "Disk Management". You should see all your drives listed, including one that says "Offline". Right click on that drive and select "Initialise". That should bring the disk online.

AMHQ

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thank you for the reply.
The thing is however that I don't see the old disk in the "Disk Management"-tool.
From the Intel Rapid Storage Tool I see the disk as an "Internal Disk" with status "Offline" followed by a hyperlink saying "delete and reset disk" (translated from Swedish).
I haven't dared to do the delete and reset thing since I'm affraid that it will format the whole disk.

sk1939

Distinguished
Hmm, I don't think there is any other way other than to plug in the failing disk again to pull the files off. The cache drive will only cache frequently accessed files, rather than anything useful.