Sign in with
Your question

Dell dimension 9150 mobo and cpu upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2010 6:11:07 PM

Hey everyone,

I wanted to upgarde my mobo and cpu in my dell dimension 9150 but there are major problems with this.

1. Case is BTX. High end mobos wont fit or even be able to be used as case is reversed.
2. the 9150 doesn't support c2d or quad

The way i would go is to buy the dell dimension 9200 mobo, xps410 it allows upgrade on c2d and quad up to q6700 i believe and e6700. This is the best way to get around the btx problem and allows u to upgrade your stuborn 9150 with out modding u case.Also u can upgrade 4gb of ddr pc2 6400 ram and most atx psu will fit.What do u think? :D 

Estimated cost dell 9200 mobo - 80$ and e 6700 80$
Best bet to still use mem,
Nvidia gt 240 1gb gddr5
harddrive and optical drives
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:35:44 PM

So you thought twice about trying to mod it, huh ?
As far as I remember you could use the board from the 410, still have to do some cutting, the I/O plates are different.
And the 410 has a thermal sensor that isn't present on the 9150, you'd have to put up with a warning everytime you start the machine.
Your best bet would be to save your money and build a new system instead of dumping money into a dying socket.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:36:25 PM

I think its pouring good money after bad.

Spend $50 on a decent case, and the BTX problem goes away. Buy whatever cpu/mobo you want. Use the old psu, HD, optical drive if you wish. Buy new memory if the mobo you chose is now "modern tech" DDR3.
Related resources
November 26, 2010 6:47:23 PM

yah i know but i really don't have the money to buy new case and new mem if i got a new mobo that has ddr3.so i just found a simpler way to use the exsisting case mem ex. But believe me I would defintely go with your ideas, get a new mobo with all the modern tech. But this is just a way too get around the btx case problem without to much moding and get c2d or quad with it.Which is a whole lot better than pentium d.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:50:37 PM

I'd still spend $50 on a new case, and buy a non-Dell mobo (likely to be cheaper) and use my old DDR2 memory.
November 26, 2010 7:06:59 PM

That is a good idea buying a non-dell mobo and using my old ram but i really want to use this case because i just bought this computer( its technically my first pc) and i was just learning the basics so i bought this pc and had no clue about btx and the fact that it doesn't support c2d so i am stuck with this case until i decide to build a new pc.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 7:28:27 PM

If your main goal is to re-use the case, you must first understand you are not stuck with that case. You are choosing to use it for some reason you feel bound to.

That's your choice, you don't need advice.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 12:12:40 AM

Micro btx lol - GL! Don't think about using SATA devices though :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:09:03 AM

dman13xx said:
I found a more cheaper mother board and better than the 9200 idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?mast...

it says it supports 8gb but if you use ddr2 800 it supports 4gb which is fine by me.

You would still have some cutting to do for the I/O plate, but that looks like the best way for you to keep your case.
Got an OS ?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:09:45 AM

Twoboxer said:
Micro btx lol - GL! Don't think about using SATA devices though :) 

Why not ? The board has 6 SATA ports.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:13:51 AM

Didn't see those - saw only PATA lol - sorry.
!