Sign in with
Your question

Is removing chipset drivers killign the bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2010 9:16:08 PM

Hi i been having all sorts of problems with my new graphics card and cpu, but i've installed some chipsets using gigabytes CD that came with the motherboard. I'd like to remove them, (i got driver sweeper 2.1.0) - but if i use it to remove the chipsets will it.. like kill the bios and stop me from booting>
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2010 11:30:01 PM

Why do you want to remove the chipset drivers? If you want to use new drivers, download and install them.

If you remove them, Windows will install *something* in order to use the motherboard.
m
l
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2010 2:06:00 AM

You're not going to hurt your BIOS by uninstalling any drivers. :) 

As for your system, just go to Gigabytes GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

or if your motherboard is revision 2.0

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Here you can either use the DriveAgent to scan your system for driver updates, or you can use the pull down menus to select such as Driver and Operating System.

For Video Driver, seeing as you have a HD 5870 which you plan to upgrade to a HD 6900 series, just get the driver directly from the ATI Catalyst website. Current version being 10.11

---------------------------------

A little trick I tend to use when ever I install a new version of ATI Catalyst.

I start the install so all the files will be unpacked to C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>
Then once the installation dialog box pops up with two choices, Express Install or Custom Install I immediately cancel the installation. After this, I open Windows Explorer and go to the Directory where the files were unpacked, to this directory C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>\Config

Here you will find a file called InstallManager.cfg

Open the file with Notepad or another text editor, then look for the following line:
ShowUpdate=false change the setting to true, then save and close.

Now you can go back to the install directory C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>
and restart the installation by running Setup.exe

This way when you get to the Install page if you don't want the Free trial of Lord of the Rings or what ever Free Trial they are pushing at the time, just select Custom Install and uncheck the Free Trial. Everything else will just be updated instead of requiring a full installation which would result in a reboot.

m
l
November 27, 2010 4:51:38 AM

Quote:
You're not going to hurt your BIOS by uninstalling any drivers. :) 

As for your system, just go to Gigabytes GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

or if your motherboard is revision 2.0

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Here you can either use the DriveAgent to scan your system for driver updates, or you can use the pull down menus to select such as Driver and Operating System.

For Video Driver, seeing as you have a HD 5870 which you plan to upgrade to a HD 6900 series, just get the driver directly from the ATI Catalyst website. Current version being 10.11

---------------------------------

A little trick I tend to use when ever I install a new version of ATI Catalyst.

I start the install so all the files will be unpacked to C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>
Then once the installation dialog box pops up with two choices, Express Install or Custom Install I immediately cancel the installation. After this, I open Windows Explorer and go to the Directory where the files were unpacked, to this directory C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>\Config

Here you will find a file called InstallManager.cfg

Open the file with Notepad or another text editor, then look for the following line:
ShowUpdate=false change the setting to true, then save and close.

Now you can go back to the install directory C:\ATI\Support\<Current Version Driver>
and restart the installation by running Setup.exe

This way when you get to the Install page if you don't want the Free trial of Lord of the Rings or what ever Free Trial they are pushing at the time, just select Custom Install and uncheck the Free Trial. Everything else will just be updated instead of requiring a full installation which would result in a reboot.

wrong post my bad.
m
l
!