Sign in with
Your question

Everything but windows recognizing my new SSD?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2012 12:55:31 AM

I just installed my first SSD into my rig. The SSD is recognized in CMD. It was recognized by the manufacturers firmware update software, (which also upgraded the firmware.) and when I boot into bio's I can find the drive there. I can find the drive among everything else in the windows list of devices, but when I go into "Computer" in windows 7 I don't see the drive. Can anyone help?

More about : windows recognizing ssd

April 25, 2012 1:28:42 AM

Any love? Any way I can explain myself better?
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:59:57 AM

shameless bumpz :o 
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 G Storage
April 25, 2012 4:04:25 PM

New drives must be partitioned and formatted before they will show up in Windoze Explorer: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-insta...

However, with an SSD the most common configuration is to disconnect all other drives and re-install Win7 on the SSD. Are you going to put Windoze on the SSD?
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:33:13 PM

Thanks for the info! I currently have windows on my hdd but would like it on my ssd. If I unplug my hdd and load windows, can I just remove windows from my hdd and be done with it? or do I need to download a full image of my hdd to my ssd like i've been reading about?
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
April 25, 2012 9:12:02 PM

Simple and to the point: No cloning, no image copy...

Install Windows 7 to the new SSD with the other HDD unplugged. Plug it back after Windows is all installed.

If you have important data of the HDD, move it and the User Libraries to the root of the HDD from HDD, and delete everything else. Then move you libraries from the Windows drive to the root of the hard drive.

Ask if you need further instructions.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:23:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, just a few questions before I try unplugging and doing this! I do have data on my hard disk I wish to keep. can that stay there while only the version of windows is deleted? or does the data need to be moved to the SSD, because my SSD is rather small. If that and my libraries can stay on the HDD like I believe you're saying, how exactly do I access the root of the drive? I'm just a little new. :)  Will I need to go into bios and choose which drive my computer uses to boot? should I select AHCI when changing that information in my bios?
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
April 26, 2012 2:49:22 AM

YES.

The root of the drive is just the letter. Instead of having your libraries on C:User\name\My Documents, just move them to D:My Documents. Got me?

The Libraires are: My Documents, Downloads, Music, Picture, Videos, and any other folders you want to save (i.e. Gaming Data).

Set the boot order or drive priority in the BIOS. Hard to tell you how, as so many different kinds of BIOS.

And YES, set the SATA ports to ACHI, or Enhanced/ACHI, once again depending on BIOS.
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:06:54 AM

before you try to install windows to it, make sure you can see it from control panel - admin tools - computer management - disk management and make sure its not showing an error.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
April 26, 2012 4:21:48 AM

^+1 not needed if you do a fresh install of Windows 7. It'll re-partition the drive and re-format it upon install.

\/ Ok, if you say so. I'm sure it could happen.
m
l
April 26, 2012 7:43:24 PM

i've had a couple of weird issues where disk showed in disk management with an error, but did not show up as an available disk in windows setup, which is why i recommended double checking!
m
l
!