Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A good mid-end motherboard suggestion

Last response: in Motherboards
November 27, 2010 12:21:46 AM

Hi guys. Please help me to choose the right specs of my motherboard. I think I need 3 RAM slots, and that's all I know. I need it for gaming and 3D rendering. Do you guys know how can I get the right motherboard specs?

I still can't decide whether should I get a X6 1090T or an I7. Any suggestion?
November 27, 2010 12:52:38 PM

I see. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: After reading tons of review and benches, I decided to take the X6 1090T because it will give me more freedom of multitasking. :D 

Btw how can we know whether a motherboard is fit to our requirements or not? How can we read a mobo's spec?
Related resources
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 27, 2010 1:58:29 PM

1) you look to see the CPU & Motherboard are compatable with each other - Check

2) you verify the required RAM needed for your motherboard - DDR3 is required for an X58 board with the goal to have triple-channel memory (sets of 3).

3) you decided if you plan multiple graphics cards in Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (Nvidia).

4) you look at what connectors you need... How many SATA ports, USB ports, etc. Do I need USB 3.0 or SATA III support?

5) The manufacturer of the board for their quality and service:
  • Intel: EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock
  • AMD: ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI

These are basically the general things you look for... IMO
    November 27, 2010 2:14:26 PM

Well, I still have plenty of questions. :) 

tecmo34 said:
    1) you look to see the CPU & Motherboard are compatable with each other - Check

How can we check it? By Google, or do you have some method? :lol: 

tecmo34 said:
    2) you verify the required RAM needed for your motherboard - DDR3 is required for an X58 board with the goal to have triple-channel memory (sets of 3).

what is an X58 and triple-channel memory? Can a motherboard have 4 DDR3 slots?

tecmo34 said:
    3) you decided if you plan multiple graphics cards in Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (Nvidia).

I am not really sure wheter I want to use a crossfire or not ( I think I will get an ATI Radeon HD 6870 ). Do you think I should get a Crossfire mobo or not? How's the price difference? Is that worth it?

Thank you. I am a total noob. :lol: 

Best solution

a c 234 V Motherboard
    November 27, 2010 4:17:20 PM

dustbreakangel said:
    How can we check it? By Google, or do you have some method? :lol: 
    You review the CPU supported list from the manufacturer's website to verify the board supports your CPU. The other option is to check the socket info. Example, the i7 950 is an LGA 1366 CPU, so you need a motherboard that is LGA 1366 compatable. The X6 1090T is an AM3 CPU, so you need a motherboard that is AM3 compatable (AMD's get a little tricky as the CPU can be backwards compatable... For you, I would get only an AM3 board, which you'll want a 870, 880G, 890GX or 890FX chipset). I would recommend the ASRock 870 Extreme3, for your needs.
    dustbreakangel said:
    what is an X58 and triple-channel memory? Can a motherboard have 4 DDR3 slots?
    X58 is the motherboad (LGA 1366) used for the original recommended i7 950 CPU. Triple-channel memory is the memory type used for that board, which is in sets of three. With AM3, you will want Dual-channel, which is sets of two. AM3 boards come with 4 DDR3 DIMM slots.
    dustbreakangel said:
    I am not really sure wheter I want to use a crossfire or not ( I think I will get an ATI Radeon HD 6870 ). Do you think I should get a Crossfire mobo or not? How's the price difference? Is that worth it?
    I would go with the motherboard I listed above (ASRock 870 Extreme3), which gives you Crossfire option at a great value (more of a budget value). I'm a supported of leaving that option open to add a second card for additional graphics power, if needed.
    November 30, 2010 7:03:22 AM

Quote:
    if going with AMD processor then it's a dual channel processor so this nonsense about 3 RAM slots is mute.
    I believe your asking for at least 3GB or RAM in total and not 3RAM slots..
    also by default AMD runs DDR3 1333MHz, depending on your multi-tasking 8GB(2x4GB) sticks in dual channel mode (slots 1 and 2 usually) will be sufficient.

with that being said, what are your graphics set-up to be, dual cards as in X-fire or SLI, ATi or nVidia, single card.?

Nope, It's slots. :lol: 

tecmo34 said:
    I would go with the motherboard I listed above (ASRock 870 Extreme3), which gives you Crossfire option at a great value (more of a budget value). I'm a supported of leaving that option open to add a second card for additional graphics power, if needed.

Wow. After I read the specs, I think that board is great. Thank you very much. :) 

Btw, did usually a motherboard comes with a soundcard? A network card?
    Did cooling comes from the casing?
    November 30, 2010 7:04:08 AM

Best answer selected by dustbreakangel.
    !