Sign in with
Your question

Bad Batch of XFX 4890's. Rumor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2010 1:46:09 PM

I recently bought a refurbished xfx 4890 from tiger direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Havent really had any problems with it, well out of the ordinary problems anyway. I did have some artifacting once but a reboot cured it. Did some research and found these:

http://www.overclock.net/ati/634248-xfx-4890-bad-batch-...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2054090

And yes I do have the exact card mentioned in these posts. My question is since I havent had any problems with this card should I still return it based on internet rumor?

In vantage I get:

Gpu: 10222

cpu: 11649

Which is from what I've seen normal for a non-overclocked card. So what do you guys think?
March 9, 2010 7:35:21 PM

Well its refurbished right? i Dont think u can return it...or can you? The benchmark scores are fine
March 9, 2010 8:13:23 PM

I ordered the same item a few days ago from them, I haven't being able to test it yet, but I believe I got the same problem, Tigerdirect states for this card...

Quote:
This product is exclusively supported by the manufacturer's warranty. For support on this product, please contact XFX at 800-880-3225
Return Policy for: XFX RB-HD489AZDF Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Recertified

TigerDirect.com cannot accept returns of XFX RB-HD489AZDF Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Recertified after delivery has been made.

* All XFX RB-HD489AZDF Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Recertified are covered by the manufacturer warranty which may include repair, or replacement service.
* At time of delivery, please inspect your XFX RB-HD489AZDF Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Recertified for damage while the shipper is still present.
* If the item is damaged, please refuse delivery and contact TigerDirect.com customer service immediately to arrange a replacement.
* Your signature on our carriers receipt acknowledges that you inspected your package and it is free from damage. Your signature also indicates that you understand our returns policy regarding your order.
* If after installation, your item is not working properly, please contact the manufacturer, XFX, for service. All the information regarding the manufacturer warranty is included in the box, or can be found online
* For warranty coverage assistance or to exchange a defective product please call the manufactuer's technical support number at: 800-880-3225

I'm so out of luck too, I dunno know what to think now. I'll benchmark it tonight against my GTX 260 216 and let you know.

Related resources
March 9, 2010 9:04:22 PM

XFX supplies a double lifetime warranty, so you should still have the warranty.
March 10, 2010 4:09:52 AM

Funny how right after I post this topic, the card buys the farm. It was displaying artifacts on my desktop once booted and than would crash. Consistantly over and over. It even had trouble maintaining the mouse and windows etc, for the brief time after boot and before the inevitable crash.

I started the ball rolling with xfx to get the card replaced, as was suggested. I will keep posting up here so anybody else with problems can get it figured it out.

For the record the card is according to xfx a( Hd-489a-ZDFC v5.4)
March 10, 2010 4:06:40 PM

Contacted tigerdirect just to see if they would take it. I spent about 45 seconds on the phone, and I have an RMA number and shipping label in my inbox. So if you bought this and are having problems definitely contact whom ever you bought if from.
!