Sign in with
Your question

GPU for Notebook

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2010 1:51:40 PM

I it posible to get ATI 4670 for Notebook? I mean not a laptop with 4670 but just the card so i can replace it, because as i understand I wouldn't be able to put an ordinary card (card for PC) in to a laptop.

More about : gpu notebook

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 2:38:37 PM

In most all cases the card is not replaceable because either it is part of the motherboard or because each card is different (there are no size/connector standards like a desktop). One exception is if your notebook could have a 4670 from the factory as an option. Then it may be possible, though you still have to find some way to get the card (they certainly aren't sold on Newegg).
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 2:45:11 PM

Every now and then a GPU for an alienware laptop will show up on Ebay.

It is certainly possible to "upgrade" the GPU in a select few laptops, though most will have it built into the board, it won't be a slot card at all.

The tricky thing here is that any I have ever seen on e-bay sell for three or four times what an equivalent desktop part would go for. I get the impression the only folks that sell them are those replacing an 'old' laptop that is in some way broken enough not to be worth selling as a complete system... thus they are rare to find.

It is not a good idea to plan a laptop system around upgrade ability, if it is possible at all (would require a lot of research before you buy) it will cost a fortune.

The best upgrade path for a notebook computer is almost always a new notebook computer.

If you have a very high end gaming laptop there is a decent chance you have the ability to replace the GPU. If not it is highly unlikely. Even if possible a 4670 laptop 'card' will likely cost you more than 200 USD.
!