xenolalia

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of a new build I'm about to do to replace my aging Athlon 64 machine. I use my computer primarily for:

1. Web Browsing.
2. Video Editing/Ripping
3. Some 3D CAD stuff in Linux
4. Compiling Code/File Compression
5. Folding
6. Casual Gaming

The more future-proof my system, the better. Whatever CPU I do end up with I plan on OC'ing.

My first instinct would be to go with an i7 930 'cause of Hyper-Threading, Triple Channel RAM, AES, etc. However, I'm also considering the option of a 1090T because of those extra cores.

My Questions:

1. Do you think I'll see a performance increase with the 6 cores instead of 4?
2. Can the 1090T use triple channel RAM? If not, could I use a 3x2GB triple channel kit to do 2x3GB dual channel?

Thanks very much!

Well the i7 930 would be better if your programs do support Hyper-Threading or can use more than more than four threads, if they don't use threads made by HTT, then the 1090T would be faster.. The Phenom II X6 1090T does not use triple channel RAM. You cannot use 3x2GB as 2x3GB dual channel, it'll run at 2x2GB & 1x2GB single channel.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
@xenolalia
Since they price similarly, you might want to go with i7 930 instead simply because you can overclock like crazy with a good cooler. Once overclock, the hexa core is nowhere near the i7.

Honestly, I'd say neither. What you use your computer for doesn't justify spending the extra money on those CPUs. If I were you, I'd get an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and use the savings towards an SSD which would have a much greater impact on overall system performance than those two CPUs ever could. For folding, the GPU you select also makes a difference because folding programs support CUDA and AVIVO. As a result, you can still get great folding numbers without having to go broke. Believe me, compared to an Athlon, the Phenom II X4 is a brutal monster and you'll be ecstatic with the performance increase. Remember, it's cheaper to get just a little more than you need today and upgrade later because by the time you actually NEED the 1090T, it or something better will be a lot cheaper than the 1090T is today and you'll still be able to drop it right into the CPU socket you have. Because of this backwards-compatibility advantage, AMD is the better choice for you but not the x6, the x4 is all you really need. :sol:

xenolalia

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Thank you all for your speedy replies!

Follow-up questions:

1. How long until there will be performance advantages with 6 cores over 4 in mainstream software?

2. Are there any circumstances under which triple channel might RAM surpasses dual channel performance?

3. If I were to go with a 1090T, would you suggest 4GB or 8GB?