Sign in with
Your question

New Build Check for first-timer...

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2010 2:11:33 AM

I'm building two desktops based on the enthusiast SBM March build. I wanted to check if you guys are aware of any component upgrades I should look at besides the i7-930.

Here's the setup...

Processor: Intel Core i7-930
Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme
Cooler: Rosewill Fort 120
Video Cards: 2 x Radeon HD 5850 in CrossFire
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Case: Cooler Master CM 690
Memory: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1333 Triple-Channel Kit
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
Optical Drive: OEM Samsung SH-S223C CD/DVD Burner SATA

Couple other questions...
1) Since I have a large NAS, I was thinking of reducing the WD HD for some SSD HD. Any thoughts?
2) Are people getting everything on Newegg generally? I'd rather buy everything together, but I couldn't find the case on Newegg.
3) Am I gonna need any fancy tools/adhesives for assembly?

More about : build check timer

March 25, 2010 7:13:04 AM

It's hard to give you firm information, but from my experience, you will need a bigger PSU if you want to Xfire 5850s

If you aren't dead set on the case, simply buy a different case.

I buy everything from newegg.com, because I know if something is wrong they will take care of it.

Ive spent probably over 5000 at newegg and every item has been perfect.

Also, order a newegg sticker, I put it on my car and my wife calls me a nerd.

Also look into getting a 40-64GB SSD for a boot drive/web browser. I love it. Just wish I had gone a bit bigger since Im out of space on mine
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:16:36 PM

Here are two versions of that case on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

At least go down to the 500GB version, because that is faster than the 750GB version. Also consider the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (if you can find it - availability is limited as it is so popular) or the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB as these are the two fastest 500GB harddrives. Obviously not as fast as an SSD. If you aren't rolling around in money then the SSD to get is the Intel X-25M 80GB as it has plenty of space, and is only around $200, I reckon if that is too much for you to pay for an SSD, then it's not worth buying one yet.

A PSU that can deliver 750W on it's 12V rail(s) reliably and consistently is enough to power two 5870s, the Corsair 750TX can deliver about 720W so obviously it'll have no problem with two 5850s. However buying two cards at once straight out of the blocks is not generally the best idea, as usually the cost of two cards is enough to pay for one much more powerful card. Also you miss an easy upgrade option later on. So unless you have seen benchmarks for the tasks you are going to be doing and they show that a single 5850 or 5870 (the card I would recommend) is not powerful enough and you don't have enough money to get two of those or a 5970, then I'd suggest getting just one card.

If you decide to change graphics card, and it saves you enough then have a look at the Asus P6X58D Premium, it is a bit more expensive, but it is more future due to the virtue of having SATA 6GB/s and USB3, and it will likely have other advantages; it is recommended on here quite a lot for X58 builds.

I don't know much about the heatsink you are thinking about buying, but the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus is one of the best at keeping temps down, and is only $5 more expensive than the Rosewill on newegg.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 2:20:37 PM

hello guys. I have a problem with my config.so i built this pc yesterday.
PSU-thermaltake1200W MOB-asrock p45 x3 deluxe GPU-Saphire5850 CPU-Q6600 RAM-OCZ
Platinium2*2GB DDR31600 HD-WD640GB64MB
and zalman reserator water-cooling system installed on cpu. everything is brand new expect the cpu but i heard it's could be faster and stable by overclocked ,it never was overclocked before in my other pc.well the Bios recognizes all the hardwares but when i try to install the win 7 home edition after the 1st loading i get this message : windows couldn't load because kernel file is missing or corrupt. after i replaced the HD for a formated 1 what already has win 7 but after some second of loading of windows i get blue death. I tryed to underclock the memory speed and i changed the mem. voltage also . i didn't change the cpu speed and the voltage of it either. i left it on basic speed (2400mhz) and lowest voltage. i took over the whole system including cpu block just making sure every stuff in the correct place. after the result was the same. i thought i need to upgrade the Bios or the MOB doesn't want to accept the memory ? i would appreciate any helping or ideas what can help. thanx in advance.
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:25:06 PM

Viko said:
hello guys. I have a problem with my config.so i built this pc yesterday.
PSU-thermaltake1200W MOB-asrock p45 x3 deluxe GPU-Saphire5850 CPU-Q6600 RAM-OCZ
Platinium2*2GB DDR31600 HD-WD640GB64MB
and zalman reserator water-cooling system installed on cpu. everything is brand new expect the cpu but i heard it's could be faster and stable by overclocked ,it never was overclocked before in my other pc.well the Bios recognizes all the hardwares but when i try to install the win 7 home edition after the 1st loading i get this message : windows couldn't load because kernel file is missing or corrupt. after i replaced the HD for a formated 1 what already has win 7 but after some second of loading of windows i get blue death. I tryed to underclock the memory speed and i changed the mem. voltage also . i didn't change the cpu speed and the voltage of it either. i left it on basic speed (2400mhz) and lowest voltage. i took over the whole system including cpu block just making sure every stuff in the correct place. after the result was the same. i thought i need to upgrade the Bios or the MOB doesn't want to accept the memory ? i would appreciate any helping or ideas what can help. thanx in advance.

DONT STEAL threats, post your own, so that we can help...
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:38:41 PM

mariod505 said:
I'm building two desktops based on the enthusiast SBM March build. I wanted to check if you guys are aware of any component upgrades I should look at besides the i7-930.

Here's the setup...

Processor: Intel Core i7-930
Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme its a good board but i would take a hard look at the gigabyte x58 ud3 with usb 3.0 and sata 3
Cooler: Rosewill Fort 120 the cooler master hyper 212+ is just as good and a bit quieter
Video Cards: 2 x Radeon HD 5850 in CrossFire
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX good psu enough power for even 2 5870's and then some
Case: Cooler Master CM 690
Memory: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1333 Triple-Channel Kit make sure its of the low voltage variety under 1.65v or you might fry the 930
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB

1) Since I have a large NAS, I was thinking of reducing the WD HD for some SSD HD. Any thoughts?
2) Are people getting everything on Newegg generally? I'd rather buy everything together, but I couldn't find the case on Newegg.

m
l
March 25, 2010 2:58:47 PM

ok i apologize bout it
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:06:44 PM

I wouldn't personally trust my system on an ASrock. They tend to do well in these short term shoot-outs, but there is also long term stability to consider. While I'm sure there are plenty of people have used these boards w/o issues, I've also read of many that have had them crap out after a few months of use.

If you're running a NAS then local storage isn't an issue. I personally recommend SSD's as they are far and away the most "game-changing" upgrade I've made in a long time. Everything is more responsive.

Yeah, Newegg is still king of the hill for combo building. And no, no fancy tools or adhesives though you may consider a magnetized screwdriver as it's pretty common to drop standoffs or mounting screws in tough to reach places.

You might also consider a TIM. The Fort 120 should come with some, but make sure and double check.

Oh, and PSU. Great choice, but 750 is cutting it close and not I'm positive if the Corsair has the 4x pci-e connectors required for dual 5850s. Might double check you need 2x 4pin, 2x 6pin.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:20:44 PM

Quote:
ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

cutting what close?

Quote:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

PCI-Express Connector 4 x 6+2-Pin

m
l
March 25, 2010 3:37:40 PM

A good 750W PSU is not cutting it close for a system with two 5850s. The TDP on them is 150W.
m
l
March 26, 2010 12:45:19 AM

150W each or together?

I figured 150W each meaning Xfired thats 300W. Almost half of the 750W PSU's capacity.
m
l
March 26, 2010 12:47:58 AM

I just checked around Im getting numbers around 170-180W for each 5850. Meaning you're looking at 350W in Gfx cards alone.

I personally would go bigger, but thats just me.

Getting an adequate Wattage PSU is placing a limitation on expansion. If you never intend to expand anything, you're fine. I personally prefer to have room to expand.

For instance, even though my motherboard is completely adequate for my build, I'd still like to get one with USB 3.0 and the new fancy SATA!
m
l
March 26, 2010 3:40:22 AM

mariod505 said:

Here's the setup...

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Why not I7-920? It is often on sale for ~$200. Was on sale from microcenter for $180 this week. Well, 930 for $200 as well.
Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme i'd definitely listen to mariod505 and look at little more reputable mobo brands(asus,gigabyte,evga in my opinion) with usb3/sata3, it's nice to know that you're already covered with the new technologies that is yet to be the mainstream
Cooler: Rosewill Fort 120
Video Cards: 2 x Radeon HD 5850 in CrossFire good choice, just wait a tiiiiny bit cause price might drop due to fermi release
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX i'm betting that this is gonna be good enough to power your GPU's as well
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 i'd look into case with better airflow/cable management. you'll appreciate it after you're done with your build. trust me. I have Antec 1200, which is kind of a pig to carry around. Antec 900 two is exact midtower replica of antec 1200. I would recommend it. But really there are tons of cases with good options out there.
Memory: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1333 Triple-Channel Kit just do little research depending on what motherboard you get. get the ones that play nicely with your mobo
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB just as what someone else said on this thread, the fastest drive for caviar black series are 500gb and 1tb i believe

1) Since I have a large NAS, I was thinking of reducing the WD HD for some SSD HD. Any thoughts? up to you, i would save your cash until price drops little more though. i don't know what you're going to run with your computer but other than your os being snappier, you won't see any advantage in games (i'm assuming you're going to game since you're going 5850 CF
2) Are people getting everything on Newegg generally? I'd rather buy everything together, but I couldn't find the case on Newegg. i like newegg but by any means purchase stuff if they're on ridiculous sales like the microcenter i7-920/930 sales. you would save some serious cash that you could be spending on other/additional components
screw driver(preferably magnetic one incase you drop screws inside your case) that's it! well i don't know if your heatsink comes with a arctic silver5 but you might want to use one since you're using after market cpu heatsink.

good luck
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:41:21 PM

cmcghee358 said:
I just checked around Im getting numbers around 170-180W for each 5850. Meaning you're looking at 350W in Gfx cards alone.

I personally would go bigger, but thats just me.

Getting an adequate Wattage PSU is placing a limitation on expansion. If you never intend to expand anything, you're fine. I personally prefer to have room to expand.

For instance, even though my motherboard is completely adequate for my build, I'd still like to get one with USB 3.0 and the new fancy SATA!

Where are you getting those numbers from? I would like to see for myself. And we are still talking about the 5850? Graphics cards, especially the higher end ones, are by far the most power hungry components in a system. If you take graphics cards out of the equation I find it hard to believe that you could fill a normal case with enough components to use 300W, and if you could it certainly wouldn't be a typical build. So if the limit on expansion is two cards then 750 if plenty. However if the type of expansion you are thinking about is three cards, or two much more power hungry cards, or using the PSU for a very long time, then I would probably agree that a larger power supply might be necessary.

What do you think about the Asus P6X58D Premium then? It ticks those two boxes.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that a 5870 will be a bit of a tight fit in a CM 690.
m
l
!