Missing mode in epson 2200 driver...

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 2, 2004 10:01:35 PM

I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in the
Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode" choices
under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
Colors. Am I missing something here? I want to try it because it
is recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
Windows XP, version 5.5bS. Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:09:58 AM

"Howard Griffin" <hrg@email.com> wrote in message
> I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in the
> Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode" choices
> under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
> however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
> Colors. Am I missing something here? I want to try it because it
> is recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
> as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
> available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
> the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
> Windows XP, version 5.5bS. Thanks for the help.

That's odd, since most profiles/instructions I've recently played with
strongly suggest you turn the printer driver's color management off--in
favor of Photoshop's...and to avoid "double color managing."
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:40:04 AM

Howard Griffin wrote:
> I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in the
> Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode" choices
> under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
> however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
> Colors. Am I missing something here? I want to try it because it
> is recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
> as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
> available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
> the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
> Windows XP, version 5.5bS. Thanks for the help.

I suspect you need to choose the right paper type. In some printers if you have
only selected plain paper, or some paper that the driver considers inadequate,
it won't let you choose modes like photo-realistic.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
December 3, 2004 4:22:58 AM

>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com

>I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in the
>Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode" choices
>under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
>however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
>Colors. Am I missing something here?

I see the same three modes on my 2200 ...

>I want to try it because it
>is recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
>as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
>available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
>the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
>Windows XP, version 5.5bS.

It's possible Epson changed the menu with later revs of the driver software and
this is no longer there, though I don't see it mentioned in the original Manual
either. I'd email one of the three guys you mention and see what they suggest.

It's surprising to me that Schewe would have ICC profiles that are keyed to
this mode, typically if you use the ICC profiles you would click "color
management: ICM" and under "ICC profile" choose "no color adjustment" and point
to the profile via the Photoshop printer setup, so something sounds fishy here

Good luck.

Bill
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 4:22:59 AM

Have alook at Russell Brown's tutorial:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html, scroll down to the topic
titled "Custom profile printing from Adobe Photoshop CS ADVANCED!"
There you'll find the Quicktime video and the zip file of the
profiles. Russell Brown is definitely a legit source so I don't think
there is anything fishy here. I have emailed Mr Brown but not Mr
Schewe on this. Maybe I will get a reply. I have also sent a query to
Epson tech support. Thanks for you reply.

On 03 Dec 2004 01:22:58 GMT, bhilton665@aol.comedy (Bill Hilton)
wrote:

>>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com
>
>>I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in the
>>Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode" choices
>>under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
>>however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
>>Colors. Am I missing something here?
>
>I see the same three modes on my 2200 ...
>
>>I want to try it because it
>>is recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
>>as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
>>available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
>>the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
>>Windows XP, version 5.5bS.
>
>It's possible Epson changed the menu with later revs of the driver software and
>this is no longer there, though I don't see it mentioned in the original Manual
>either. I'd email one of the three guys you mention and see what they suggest.
>
>It's surprising to me that Schewe would have ICC profiles that are keyed to
>this mode, typically if you use the ICC profiles you would click "color
>management: ICM" and under "ICC profile" choose "no color adjustment" and point
>to the profile via the Photoshop printer setup, so something sounds fishy here
>
>Good luck.
>
>Bill
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:42:44 PM

>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com

>Russell Brown is definitely a legit source so I don't think
>there is anything fishy here.

Yes, Russell is one of the really smart Photoshop guys ...

> I have emailed Mr Brown but not Mr
>Schewe on this. Maybe I will get a reply.

I have Jeff Schewe's email addy, send me an email and I'll forward it to you if
you want to contact him directly (don't want to post it here).

In either case, the mode you mentioned isn't in the original manual either so
maybe they copied something over from a different Epson printer? Dunno ...
good luck.

Bill
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 3:02:14 AM

>BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver for
>>Windows XP, version 5.5bS.
>
>It's possible Epson changed the menu with later revs of the driver software
>and
>this is no longer there, though I don't see it mentioned in the original
>Manual
>either.

Schewe is an Apple guy. Five bucks says it works on the Mac.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 3:05:48 AM

>From: "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowesteven number here)@cox..net

>That's odd, since most profiles/instructions I've recently played with
>strongly suggest you turn the printer driver's color management off--in
>favor of Photoshop's...and to avoid "double color managing."

One solution might be to "Convert to Profile" in Photoshop and then print the
file with Color Management turned off on the Epson.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:01:38 PM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> "Howard Griffin" <hrg@email.com> wrote in message

>> I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in
>> the Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode"
>> choices under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
>> however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
>> Colors. Am I missing something here? I want to try it because it is
>> recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
>> as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
>> available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
>> the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver
>> for Windows XP, version 5.5bS. Thanks for the help.

> That's odd, since most profiles/instructions I've recently played with
> strongly suggest you turn the printer driver's color management off--in
> favor of Photoshop's...and to avoid "double color managing."

The only strict rule is that you need to print with all the printer
settings exactly the same as they were when the profie was generated.
This usually, but not always, means "no colour adjustment", because
that's the way most profiles are generated.

A tip I got from Andrew Rodney is to try generating a profile using
one of the built-in colour modes such as "Vivid". This can work
better because the profile is generated against a more linear target.
Thus, the colour management module is only making a gentle curve
adjustment instead of dramatic changes. This seems to reduce the
gamut, but only slightly.

Andrew.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:01:39 PM

Yes, Russell Brown's Quicktime video on the profile does mention that
that the idea was to take advantage of a more linear image file.

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:01:38 -0000, andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid
wrote:

>"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> "Howard Griffin" <hrg@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I do not seem to be able to locate the "Photo-realistic" mode in
>>> the Epson 2200 driver. It is supposed to be among the "Mode"
>>> choices under "Color Controls." The only "Mode" choices I see,
>>> however, are 1) standard, 2) charts & graphs, and 3) EPSON Vivid
>>> Colors. Am I missing something here? I want to try it because it is
>>> recommended by Carl Schofield in his article on Luminous Landscap
>>> as a way to get good B&W prints, and because Russell Brown has made
>>> available Jeff Schewe's ICC profiles for the 2200 that are keyed to
>>> the photo-realistic mode. BTW, I am using the latest 2200 driver
>>> for Windows XP, version 5.5bS. Thanks for the help.
>
>> That's odd, since most profiles/instructions I've recently played with
>> strongly suggest you turn the printer driver's color management off--in
>> favor of Photoshop's...and to avoid "double color managing."
>
>The only strict rule is that you need to print with all the printer
>settings exactly the same as they were when the profie was generated.
>This usually, but not always, means "no colour adjustment", because
>that's the way most profiles are generated.
>
>A tip I got from Andrew Rodney is to try generating a profile using
>one of the built-in colour modes such as "Vivid". This can work
>better because the profile is generated against a more linear target.
>Thus, the colour management module is only making a gentle curve
>adjustment instead of dramatic changes. This seems to reduce the
>gamut, but only slightly.
>
>Andrew.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:04:10 PM

>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com

>I have emailed Mr Brown but not Mr
>Schewe on this. Maybe I will get a reply. I have also sent a query to
>Epson tech support.

Russell Brown returned my e-mail (Who Rules?) and confirmed that it was, to his
surpise (but not mine), a Mac thing. He has updated his website to reflect
that discovery.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 8:02:05 PM

Annika1980 wrote:

>>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com
>

>>I have emailed Mr Brown but not Mr
>>Schewe on this. Maybe I will get a reply. I have also sent a query to
>>Epson tech support.
>

> Russell Brown returned my e-mail (Who Rules?) and confirmed that it was, to his
> surpise (but not mine), a Mac thing. He has updated his website to reflect
> that discovery.

Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Annika1980 wrote:
>
> >>From: Howard Griffin hrg@email.com
> >

> >>I have emailed Mr Brown but not Mr
> >>Schewe on this. Maybe I will get a reply. I have also sent a query to
> >>Epson tech support.
> >

> > Russell Brown returned my e-mail (Who Rules?) and confirmed that it was,
to his
> > surpise (but not mine), a Mac thing. He has updated his website to
reflect
> > that discovery.
> >
> Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?

Macintosh computer (Apple)
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:14:57 AM

Mark² wrote:

> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>Russell Brown returned my e-mail (Who Rules?) and confirmed that it was,
>
> to his
>
>>>surpise (but not mine), a Mac thing. He has updated his website to
>
> reflect
>
>>>that discovery.
>>>

>>Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?
>

> Macintosh computer (Apple)

Gee, thanks, Mark. The applicable precedent was it- something to do with
Epson or PS.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

> Mark² wrote:
>
> > "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > to his

> > reflect

> >>Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?
> >

> > Macintosh computer (Apple)
> >

> Gee, thanks, Mark. The applicable precedent was it- something to do with
> Epson or PS.

Hooray for you.
You had me worried.

The "Mac thing" is simply referring to the different options contained in
the print driver on a Mac vs. PC...or specific intructions that may apply to
one or the other.
If you want more specifics than that, then you might try composing a more
carefully worded question.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:05:37 AM

>From: John McWilliams jpmcw@comcast.net

>Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?

To recap, Jeff Schewe created two profiles that use the "Photo-Realistic"
option of the Epson 2200 driver. The only problem is that the
"Photo-Realistic" setting only appears if you are using the Epson 2200 with a
Mac.

You can learn more about it here:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:12:55 AM

Annika1980 wrote:
>>From: John McWilliams jpmcw@comcast.net
>

>>Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?
>

> To recap, Jeff Schewe created two profiles that use the "Photo-Realistic"
> option of the Epson 2200 driver. The only problem is that the
> "Photo-Realistic" setting only appears if you are using the Epson 2200 with a
> Mac.
>
> You can learn more about it here:
> http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Excellent! Thanks; I also happen to love the Russell Brown tutorials,
and hadn't run across that one yet. I tried, against judgement, to see
if the photorealistic setting might be included in the R300 driver, but
alas, it ain't. But I made it all the way through the QT movie without
much head scratching! Progress.....

--

John McWilliams
Anonymous

Here's an interesting development: I emailed Epson on this and
received the following reply that suggests that there is no difference
(except in nomenclature) between the Win and Mac drivers. My only
question is: are they to be believed? Here is the repsonse I
received:

Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

I regret the confusion, the wording in the driver has been changed.
The STANDARD setting under the COLOR MODE of the driver in the
ADVANCED section will perform the same task as what was previously
worded 'Photo-Realistic', which is increase the contrast of a photo
image.

***

Valerie R
Epson Connection

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:12:55 GMT, John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Annika1980 wrote:
>>>From: John McWilliams jpmcw@comcast.net
>>

>>>Man, I have truly lost the thread here. *What* is a Mac thing?
>>

>> To recap, Jeff Schewe created two profiles that use the "Photo-Realistic"
>> option of the Epson 2200 driver. The only problem is that the
>> "Photo-Realistic" setting only appears if you are using the Epson 2200 with a
>> Mac.
>>
>> You can learn more about it here:
>> http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
>>

>Excellent! Thanks; I also happen to love the Russell Brown tutorials,
>and hadn't run across that one yet. I tried, against judgement, to see
>if the photorealistic setting might be included in the R300 driver, but
>alas, it ain't. But I made it all the way through the QT movie without
>much head scratching! Progress.....
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:22:35 AM

Howard Griffin wrote:

> Here's an interesting development: I emailed Epson on this and
> received the following reply that suggests that there is no difference
> (except in nomenclature) between the Win and Mac drivers. My only
> question is: are they to be believed? Here is the repsonse I
> received:
>
> Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.
>
> I regret the confusion, the wording in the driver has been changed.
> The STANDARD setting under the COLOR MODE of the driver in the
> ADVANCED section will perform the same task as what was previously
> worded 'Photo-Realistic', which is increase the contrast of a photo
> image.
*** *** *** *** ***
<< Snipped bits out >>

>>I tried, against judgement, to see
>>if the photorealistic setting might be included in the R300 driver, but
>>alas, it ain't.

Hmmmm..... does that mean then, that the former Standard was less
contrasty than it is now, and the only other choice is "VIVID"? Thank
heavens I don't have any recent experience with this printer and have to
mentally convert old settings to new results!

--
John McWilliams
!