AMD new mid range system build - got any suggestions?

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I want to build a new mid range system for general gaming and doing graphics on,

Im a noob to computers and have been reading up on forums learning,
most posts seem to lean towards AMD of which i have an old one of and it has served me well so I think i'll stick with them
So here are my build thoughts so far, any input is good, cheers

AMD Phenom™ II X4 QUAD CORE 955
Asus M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
XFX ATI Radeon™ HD 5770
Antec TP 650W TruePower ATX PSU
Antec Six Hundred Gaming Black ATX Tower
Win7 Ultimate

Any thoughts? ...... am I on the right track?

Solution
Well what resolution would u game on? If less than 1920 x 1080 then ya you could get by with a HD 5770 else i'd look to hit a HD5830 or ideally a HD 5850 :p 770 chipset would be fine

peety10

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
very similar to my sys, same proc, vid,ram.PS . i am running a GB ma790MPT mobo and win 7 pro 64. great system quiet no issues in or out of S3 sleep with tuner card. i am not hardcore gamer, i do get 50-60 FPS in WOW with everything maxed.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Make sure the 955 is a C3 stepping, aka MBOX.

I personally would get at least an Antec 900, but I am prone to go bigger than necessary. Antec 900 is a very nice case for usually less than 100 bucks.

As for Win7 Ultimate, is there a particular reason why you are getting ultimate?

jsant010

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Well I'm waiting for my first build in the mail and I think I'm getting it tomorrow but overall we have the same build. Same mobo, VGA, CPU. The only thing different is that I'm getting Antec 900 2 case and the Antec Earthwatts 650w. Also, I've been reading up on this build for over two months now and I heard that the 5770 can easily be crossfired (or sli, I never know which is which) and can handle most new games just by itself. Lastly, I heard that the Phenom II X4 955 can easily be overclocked to 3.8 without breaking a sweat. Therefore, I should get all my components plus the case around monday or friday depending on when newegg decides to ship me my case, and when I get it I'll let you know how the build went. :D Oh and by the way, the whole thing with shipping and tax cost me about $990. That was all my components minus dvd drive and windows 7, but I had to buy hdd, network adapter, and cpu heatsink/fan which was around 80-100 dollars more.

puntacana1

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
YOu could save $70 and get the 555 Black Edition and unlock into a quad and end up with pretty much the same thing. It also has free shipping, if you are on the US newegg. I was going to suggest the 550, a lesser model which I got, but the availability seems to have gone way down, and price has shot up $60 on US Newegg?? I paid $103 CAD. Don't understand that one yet lol. Either way, success rates from reviews on both chips seem to be the same on unlocking.

damien12g

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I have a 550 X2, unlocked, works great and i have the same MB you are looking at. i play at 1920x1080 with dual 4770's and it looks great. Your single 570 will work fine, if it doesnt, get another in 6 months and you're set. Frankly, i wouldnt change anything.
Nice build.

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

exactly what Ive just done and im on the cusp of commitment, but I have only just started learning and forums are a god sent!

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

haha!, my flatmate said the same thing this afternoon! explained the pros and cons and for an extra $100 odd its gunna be a 5850 for sure!.... good call and you just cemented the deal for me! thanks champ!

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

my monitor is 1920 x 1200 so the res is about right, opting for the 5850 will walk it in the park from benchmarks so im gunna go with it. so far I seem to be on the right track for a screaming noob ..... sponging up the forum intel that is.... but ive learnt a lot in one week from nothing, and im liking this tech jarg ten fold more than i thought!, happy days :)

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

from what ive gathered so far unlocking is not a sure thing and i guess being noob has daunted me from going down that path just yet so i recon kicking off with the 955 is the best way to go, i'll pick up the OC skills as I go from there but at least for a couple of bucks extra ill still have 5 times more grunt than i have in my current kit. i also feel dual cards are overkill for what im likely to need in the short term and that it might be cheaper to get one good one on the outset than chase a few dollars saved on something smaller x 2. scary thing is im adictive by nature so once ive got my head around the world of PC's, overclocking will probably own me!

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

unfortunatly the dollar factor doesnt count cause im in australia and every thing here costs two houses and a small child, plus freight x 10! so ive gotta source it all locally but so far the entire built will cost me about $1200US give or take a coin or two all sourced locally, which is pretty decent considering the crap combo's and pre built rigs available we can get here in OZ!... ide rather spend the extra coins and learn how to do it myself i guess and get what you guys have! knowledge and self satisfaction! the knowledge im gaining from you guys is invaluable so thaks heaps... x 10! the learning curve so far has been a bucket load of brain overload and im loving it! wish we had good combo deals here it would make life so much easier for dumb smucks like my good self to kick off with!, but its just not happening im afraid and the freight from your land is... well its cheaper and quicker to get a degree and manufacture it myself .... whoe is me! lol

wcurry

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

This is similar to what I am looking at for my build. I am new at this, what is C3 stepping, MBOX? And how do I find out if it is the right one? Was looking at this combo:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5838568&CatId=4431

TRENDING THREADS