Launch .exe's off second hard drive?

alverdeja

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I have never owned a computer with multiple storage drives and I have plans to purchase an SSD in the near future and I was wondering this; If I were to install only my OS and several other programs directly onto the SSD, would I be able to launch programs off of the second, larger HDD without having to restart and boot from the other hard drive? I guess this doesn't necessarily pertain solely to SSDs, but you know. My build includes an ASUS p8z68-v pro gen3, so I have the UEFI bios, if that helps.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
As long as the applications have gone through the install process, and in that process you selected the D: (secondary) drive for the install location.
You cannot copy/paste applications to a new drive.

But assuming you installed the applications to the secondary drive, they will launch no problem.
I have a SSD/HDD config just as you say, and I launch some apps off my D: or E: no problem (no reboot required. :) )

In some cases, the applications are not polite enough to ask where they should be installed. There are two registry keys that you can change, then do the install. But be sure to set those keys back. I don't know them off the top of my head, so post another question if you need to do that and someone will give it to you.

TRENDING THREADS