Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weird soundcard issue

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2010 4:39:59 AM

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird soundcard issue. I have had the following system running fine for 6 months now:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE | Gigabyte MA790FXT | OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum EB | Radeon 4870HD | Crucial M225 SSD

It is also running a 7500RPM 200gb IDE hard drive.

Mind you I had to tinker with the bios extensively to get this rig to run.

I just purchased a turtle beach riviera sound card. Installed it into one of the open PCI slots. Booted up, and was given the message that my hard disks are not being detected. I restarted several times, tried reseating it, etc. Same error message.

When I open up the BIOS, no hard disks are being detected.

When I remove the sound card - everything returns to normal (I had my fingers crossed).

Has anyone ever experienced this before? It strikes me as very odd. I've been working on computers for a while, and this is one of the weirdest motherboard issues I have seen.

Thanks,
Alex

More about : weird soundcard issue

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2010 4:43:09 PM

Yeah, that happened with an old turtle beach card I tried on my backup machine. It was trying to use the same resources as some of my system devices, so even though I got the HD issue taken care of, I couldn't get it to run because the driver wouldn't start. If the card has jumpers you may want to try using them to change the settings on the card. I think I gave that card away some time ago.
April 4, 2010 12:12:12 AM

Best answer selected by ampedal.
!