Motherboard/Ram problem

rincal

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
i've got a foxconn g31mx which came pre fitted in a quad core pc, the machine worked fine for some time until i tried to upgrade the ram, the pc came originally with 1 X 2gb module of ddr2 800mhz fitted.

when i try to double this to 2 X 2gb 800mhz (kit) the machine sometimes does not show a monitor signal, freezes whilst loading the OS and shortly after the os has been loaded.

i have tested the ram, swapped it with a friend who has had no problems with it, i had the same problem with his ram and i have also tried with 3gb of ram (1 X 2gb & 1 X 1gb).

i have been told but am unsure that it could be due to a setting in the bios which i have reset to default, upgraded and downgraded again.
any advice to try and rectify this problem would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

BTW details of board are here:

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000345&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=Motherboard Manual

Try just your new ram and run memtest, a free download. Most ram comes with decent warranty. The best brands are corsair, crucial (micron), kingston, and hynix (samsung). You should have no errors; if you do, run each one separately to find the bad stick and request an rma with the manufacturer.

rincal

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
thanks for replies - i tested ram with memtest several times with several sweeps but not 1 problem...
i swapped my ram with a gamer who did not experience any problems at all.

any other suggestions?

rincal

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
did his RAM work in your unit.?

no, i had same trouble with his ram, it was 667mh, when i switched on it would switch on then off then back on again, then it would behave as described above. if no monitor signal, it would just keep turning off then restarting.

rincal

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
pull the video card and try it again with the on-board or another video card for testing..

i originally thought thought that the card was the problem swapping with another and removing altogether , pretty certain this is a problem related to ram or more likley the way the m/b is handling it.

rincal

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
so are you saying that you tried another card already or just thought about it.?

yeah done it already. both cards work perfectly in this m/b when the 2gb ram module is fitted, both cards have also been fitted in different computers without any problems.