andreheidi

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I used XP Professional on my HP 530 Notebook, the whole computer got slower and slower and I decided to purchase an external Seagate Expansion 2TB USB. The old system was still working pluged the new external in / did not formatted it and was picked up by the old system as “E” and starts exporting as much data as possible. Removed the old 2.5 HD inside the notebook formatted the whole drive and basically started reloading the XP Professional package from the start. This went well, now plugging the Seagate 2TB back to transfer my pictures and documents back is giving me a problem. In my Computer Management – Device Manager – Disk drives I can see the drive and have all the same use as a normal drive “C”, the PC is reading it but it is not recognised it as an external type nor do I have the option to explore it from START – MY COMPUTER – LOCAL C when plugged in. It is working and seen by the PC but how do I access my data / pictures and documents and to get it back onto the old redone “C” drive? Any one who can help this old guy please.

Please do not post your @mail (that way u are helping to spread the spam), u will be automatically notified in your email when someone post a fresh line in your thread.

Thanx : )

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
You need to assign a drive letter to the external drive in "Computer Management – Device Manager – Disk drives". Right click on it, the popup menu should say something like "assign a drive letter".

And don't write your email address in a public forum. It just an invite for spammers.

andreheidi

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Reply:

When right clicking on “Disk drives” it is saying “Scan for hardware changes” and “Properties. By right clicking on the “Seagate External USB Device” is saying “Update Driver…” “Disable” “Uninstall” “Scan for hardware changes” and “Properties”??