do i need to Flash the BIOS on my Biostar Motherboard for a new CPU???

Killsuit71

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have the Biostar A760G M2+ VERSION 6.1, and im currently running an AMD Athlon X2 6000 3.0Ghz dual core processor Socket AM2 on it...

would like to upgrade to a quad core by AMD (most likely the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz)

but i don't know how to flash my BIOS
or if i need to
or where to get them ETC.

I'm hoping someone can help me =/

Solution
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The Phenom II X4 940 isn't supported by ur mobo. U can see here the CPU supported list for ur mobo and for the CPU upgrade u need update 1st the BIOS version with ur old CPU.

Killsuit71

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Ok so i need to get one of the CPU's on that list....Um i dont fully understand (never done this before) what u mean by "update 1st the BIOS version with ur old CPU"?
Ty for the reply

Killsuit71

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Also I found this Processor that was on the list of supported CPU's The: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor,

Now im not getting why this CPU was on the list cuz its an AM3 processor and this mobo supports AM2+

(ive heard stories of ppl who put an am3 in there am2+ mobo and it worked fine).....

also i am wondering if i will even see a difference in the speed of my PC (i play video tons of video games on it) and overall performance right down to the loading speeds of programs and Start up time..

should i just stick with my AMD Athlon X2 6000 3.0Ghz?? or will i get better speed and performance with the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor???

1- Yeah, only the CPU that are in the list works in the mobo that u have.
2- For install a Phenom II series or Athlon II series u need update the BIOS version that ur mobo currently have since the architecture of both old versions and new version are different. For do that BIOS update is better do it with ur old CPU (X2 6000) installed and not with the new one.

If u aren't very sure how to update ur BIOS, read the manual of the mobo in page 29.

It's a curious thing that the Phenom II X4 945 is supported but the X4 940 isn't. I think that is something that have to do with the TPD.

The X4 945 is a very solid CPU and u will see a big difference in performance games and video edition.

Killsuit71

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Cool so ill most likely be getting that this weekend.... But i was wondering (now that you know what CPU im getting) of you could give me a detailed list of instructions that i could follow to take care of my BIOS flashing so i don't Screw everything up..
Ty very much for all the help =]

Killsuit71

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Also Saint19 I was wondering if i could get just as good performance if i OC my current Chip and just buy a new cooler?

If so i would need to learn how though lol
Thanks