Sign in with
Your question

Your thoughts on this rig

Last response: in Overclocking
February 5, 2013 2:21:16 AM

Hey guys,

I want to build my very first watercooled rig and I have been researching for quite some time now. However, I'd like an expert opinion on the parts that I've put together. Any help would be much appreciated.

So my current aircooled rig is
i7 3770k
4x8 GB Kingston DDR3 Ram
EVGA GTX260 (dont ask)
Asus P8z77-v
2 SSDS and 1 7200 SATA

Now i want to upgrade the system with a SLI GTX 680 system and at the same time put in the watercooling.
A) For the watercooling and b) for quietness sake. The PC is going to be in my bedroom.

The TPD will be around 600 - 610 give or take so I wanted to go with the following components:

Radiator: Swiftech MCR420-XP
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
CPU Block: Koolance CPU-370SI
GPU Block: XSPC Razor GTX680

That would be cooling my RAM, cpu and both gpus. (res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu->gpu->res)
I'd put 4 fans on the rad that could run on fairly low rpm to keep the noise down.

Any thoughts on it ? I'm kinda scared of using mixed metals that corrode over time. In addition to the composition of the components, I'm also not too sure in which case I should put all this. Space is not an issue, so a xxl case would not be a problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

More about : thoughts rig

February 5, 2013 2:36:39 AM

it's kinda off topic, but, umm...how will you cool the northbridge on an LGA 1155 system? aren't they, well, not there?
February 5, 2013 2:40:17 AM

ugh... my bad... I meant the RAM. Edited for correction
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 2:45:10 AM

Just an FYI, liquid cooling your ram is useless. Overclocking it yields little performance gains, if any at all, and using a RAM waterblock does nothing but increase restriction in your loop, degrading the overall cooling performance. Ditch the ram cooling. As for mixing metals, you're fine so long as you don't have aluminium in the mix.
February 5, 2013 2:57:13 AM

Thanks. I was thinking the same. I would've have gone with might as well, but there are apparent drawbacks to cooling the RAM. GPUs and CPUs only it is...
a c 331 K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 1:42:02 PM

How so? There is really never a reason to watercool RAM unless you like spending money and introducing unneeded restriction into your loop.

Quote:
but there are apparent drawbacks to cooling the RAM. GPUs and CPUs only it is...

I'm not sure I completely follow...
February 6, 2013 1:34:36 AM

Sorry. Let me rephrase. The punctuation might be set in a weird way:
OK, I won't cool my RAM then, but I still want to watercool my two GPUs (the 680s Im about to get) and my i7 with it. Are the above components good enough for a silent, low rpm usage ?
!