Sign in with
Your question

XFX 790i Ultra Sli Freezes

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2010 6:37:42 AM

Hi guys, I'm having problems with my computer freezing. It usually happens when I'm doing something related to video playback (youtube or gaming) and dont know whats the problem (the computer just freezes totally and cant even move the mouse around).I changed my GPU to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. I have tried fresh installs and tweaking the BIOS but nothing seems to work.
PC specs:
XFX 790i Ultra Sli
G SKILL ddr3 1600mhz 2Gbyts 1 DIMM
XFX Nvidia 250GTS Core Edition (latest drivers)
Caviar Black 1tb x2
Windows 7 32 bit
Intel q9300 @2500mhz

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2010 6:47:04 AM

The typical thing for problems like this is you need to specify all the RAM settings in the BIOS, including the voltage.

Try running things like prime95 and memtest, (both for significant amounts of time)
March 25, 2010 3:23:39 PM

Probably all the BIOS tweaking is the culprit.

Have you tried auto or default settings?

Was the computer stable before and if so, what were you doing that right before the freezing happened?
Related resources
April 4, 2010 5:07:23 PM

Its just random freezes but i think it happens more often while gaming or watching movies. Everything is default in the BIOS, can someone help me and tell me how to set the voltages?
Thanks
April 4, 2010 7:27:58 PM

Use Real Temp to check and record heat spikes while you game. If it crashes, you can back to the log and check the temps to se if they are the cause of the instability.

Crashing while watching youtube doesn't sound like a heat issue so you might have a combination of causes. Do you have the lastest drivers for your motherboard chipset?

Could just be hardware limitation and not heat or BIOS settings or softtware.
2 Gigs of RAM is sufficient for Win 7 when you do basic things but depending on games and viewing high definition and having multiple windows, multi-tasking, etc... you could be running out of RAM and it starts using your hard drive as memory. Do you hear the hard drive working overtime just as you feel the computer starting to get sluggish?
Try to find a matching stick or get a dual channel kit of RAM. Even if it doesn't solve the problem you'll get a nice performance boost from dual channel.

April 5, 2010 9:45:11 PM

My computer is always fast even during gaming, hard drive doesn't seem to work overtime, I'm going to try Real Temp to see if its a heat related problem, but i think its the RAM going nuts!
April 6, 2010 6:00:23 AM

I used real temp and i had no temp peaks when my pc crashed, cpu was around 60C and gpu at 70C.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2010 7:49:13 AM

Have you done memtest yet?
April 6, 2010 3:51:27 PM

robjamar said:
My computer is always fast even during gaming, hard drive doesn't seem to work overtime, I'm going to try Real Temp to see if its a heat related problem, but i think its the RAM going nuts!

Okay now I'm confused. Is it super fast during gaming or does it super freeze during gaming?
April 6, 2010 4:06:47 PM

I've had the exact same problem with my nforce 780i SLI mobo. I have talked with other people with nforce boards and they have had similar issues...
April 6, 2010 4:10:30 PM

When the screen will freezes, I can't do anything with my computer. My keyboard won't change between capslock, my mouse won't move, and I cannot do ANYTHING. I have to hit the power button on the computer case itself and reboot the entire computer.
April 6, 2010 8:38:00 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Okay now I'm confused. Is it super fast during gaming or does it super freeze during gaming?

Its fast, but all of the sudden it freezes and instantly locks the computer up. When its locked up I cant even move my mouse around, Im sorry if Im confusing you.
April 6, 2010 8:49:09 PM

Sounds like a bad video driver to me. I had this problem in past with my old 8800GTS, a fresh install of latest video drivers solved it for me. It's not the HDD or RAM I believe or so I can tell with whatever experience I have with such problems, because they usually end up with a BSOD, but we can't really rule them out either.

Fresh install of graphics driver and changing peripheral power chord of HDD may work.
Good Luck!
April 6, 2010 9:13:34 PM

elricthefullmetal said:
Sounds like a bad video driver to me. I had this problem in past with my old 8800GTS, a fresh install of latest video drivers solved it for me. It's not the HDD or RAM I believe or so I can tell with whatever experience I have with such problems, because they usually end up with a BSOD, but we can't really rule them out either.

Fresh install of graphics driver and changing peripheral power chord of HDD may work.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, but I tried this already but it didn't work, even tried beta drivers.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2010 9:18:41 PM

Like was mentioned a few times above, this type of problem is usually RAM related. What exact RAM do you have? It would really help if you could post the model # so we can look up the rated timings and voltage. The first thing to do when having freezing problems is to manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS then do an overnight run of Memtest86+ to test for RAM errors. Your motherboard owners manual will have instructions on how to set the RAM values.
April 6, 2010 10:47:55 PM

My exact ram model is:G.Skill NQ Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ Dual Channel - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

But i only have one stick instead of two.
Ill try to tinker with the voltages.
Thanks for the help
April 9, 2010 9:43:05 PM

My ram's voltage was set to 1.5v and not to 1.8 as its supposed to be, so i cranked it up and been using it without freezing for a day now =)
Thanks for all the help guys!
!