NVIDIA GTX 480 makes benchmarking debut, matches ATI HD 5870 performan

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This is old news. GTX 480 only proved to have a small lead in some games, and loose in others. It only did better then the HD 5870 during the hardware tessellation of a uniengine benchmark. Games do not use much hardware tessellation as that is a waste of resources better gone to more critical game processes.

If I remember correctly the peak of performance it achieved apart from tessellation, was 16% higher FPS then the HD 5870 in a particular game which I cannot recall. Not very impressive if the rumors of the $599 price point are true. (Nvidia claimed they're false but we'll see).

Because they want to compare it to one that they can compete with not one they would completely lose to !! - Even then they only try to show the portions of the testing that promote the tessellation engine where they feel they have the advantage and not a full gaming test !

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
ownage.jpg

that isnt matched. the newer of the two card is killing the other by 20-30 FPS.

and look at 220 to 260. that is the difference of big time lag in a game.
look how the greenline is a bit more smooth and doesnt drop as far down at 220-260.

look at the lowest point on the green line. 35FPS
look at the lowest point on the red line. ~17FPS

this is a newer card so it is going to be better then anything that is currently out.
cant wait to see what ati will pull out next.
or a bench of the 5970 vs the 480

and this is just one benchmark done by NV itself, so can't really be trusted

we have to wait for release and see what a 3rd party says the difference is in games

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

yeah, all companies really do have the reputation of hand picking their benchmarks xD

Based on what benchmarks the rest of us have yet to see?

Also, Tesselation is the only major graphical benifit of DX11. Thats one reason I want to see Dirt2/AvP benchmarks, as I expect the 400 series (or G100 or Fermi or whatever we are going to call it) to gain a significant increase in DX11 mode.

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

you are going to be really disappointed because the 5870 beats the 480 in both games.

Status
Not open for further replies.