Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

NVIDIA GTX 480 makes benchmarking debut, matches ATI HD 5870 performan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 7:20:11 PM

The thing I'm not getting is why they're matching these cards up? Correct me if I'm wrong with about this but isn't this like trying to compare a 4870 to a 280? They're not meant to compete
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 7:28:16 PM

Old and irrelevent.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 7:29:31 PM

This is old news. GTX 480 only proved to have a small lead in some games, and loose in others. It only did better then the HD 5870 during the hardware tessellation of a uniengine benchmark. Games do not use much hardware tessellation as that is a waste of resources better gone to more critical game processes.

If I remember correctly the peak of performance it achieved apart from tessellation, was 16% higher FPS then the HD 5870 in a particular game which I cannot recall. Not very impressive if the rumors of the $599 price point are true. (Nvidia claimed they're false but we'll see).
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 7:35:01 PM

uncfan_2563 said:
The thing I'm not getting is why they're matching these cards up? Correct me if I'm wrong with about this but isn't this like trying to compare a 4870 to a 280? They're not meant to compete


Because they want to compare it to one that they can compete with not one they would completely lose to !! - Even then they only try to show the portions of the testing that promote the tessellation engine where they feel they have the advantage and not a full gaming test !
March 9, 2010 8:15:32 PM



that isnt matched. the newer of the two card is killing the other by 20-30 FPS.

and look at 220 to 260. that is the difference of big time lag in a game.
look how the greenline is a bit more smooth and doesnt drop as far down at 220-260.

look at the lowest point on the green line. 35FPS
look at the lowest point on the red line. ~17FPS


this is a newer card so it is going to be better then anything that is currently out.
cant wait to see what ati will pull out next.
or a bench of the 5970 vs the 480
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 8:19:30 PM

seth89 said:
http://img.techpowerup.org/100309/ownage.jpg

that isnt matched. the newer of the two card is killing the other by 20-30 FPS.

and look at 220 to 260. that is the difference of big time lag in a game.
look how the greenline is a bit more smooth and doesnt drop as far down at 220-260.

look at the lowest point on the green line. 35FPS
look at the lowest point on the red line. ~17FPS


this is a newer card so it is going to be better then anything that is currently out.
cant wait to see what ati will pull out next.


and this is just one benchmark done by NV itself, so can't really be trusted

we have to wait for release and see what a 3rd party says the difference is in games
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 10:37:19 PM

mindless728 said:
and this is just one benchmark done by NV itself, so can't really be trusted

we have to wait for release and see what a 3rd party says the difference is in games

yeah, all companies really do have the reputation of hand picking their benchmarks xD
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 11:04:46 PM

Actually this is not a newer card. It is the same generation as the 5xxx series.
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 11:12:57 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
This is old news. GTX 480 only proved to have a small lead in some games, and loose in others. It only did better then the HD 5870 during the hardware tessellation of a uniengine benchmark. Games do not use much hardware tessellation as that is a waste of resources better gone to more critical game processes.

If I remember correctly the peak of performance it achieved apart from tessellation, was 16% higher FPS then the HD 5870 in a particular game which I cannot recall. Not very impressive if the rumors of the $599 price point are true. (Nvidia claimed they're false but we'll see).


Based on what benchmarks the rest of us have yet to see?

Also, Tesselation is the only major graphical benifit of DX11. Thats one reason I want to see Dirt2/AvP benchmarks, as I expect the 400 series (or G100 or Fermi or whatever we are going to call it) to gain a significant increase in DX11 mode.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 9, 2010 11:20:11 PM

nVidia optimized Unigene to give a 30% framerate increase before this benchmark was produced.

Gotta love nVidia.
March 10, 2010 12:11:15 AM

gamerk316 said:
Based on what benchmarks the rest of us have yet to see?

Also, Tesselation is the only major graphical benifit of DX11. Thats one reason I want to see Dirt2/AvP benchmarks, as I expect the 400 series (or G100 or Fermi or whatever we are going to call it) to gain a significant increase in DX11 mode.


you are going to be really disappointed because the 5870 beats the 480 in both games.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 1:46:36 AM

That isn't even a real game yet. If the card is so great, they need to start releasing (or leaking) some game benches.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 4:25:33 AM

3 Days late to the party pal!

Already other treads discussing this.
!