Problem with booting after shutdown

Rookee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Greetings,

Bought a new Asus ROG Rampage III Gene motherboard with an i7 950 and 12 gigs of Patrior Viper2 Sector-7 DDR3 1600 Ram. I have been experiencing a very strange issue. The installation went fine and the system booted and I went ahead and installed Windows 7 without any issues. But as soon as I shutdown the computer it wont boot up again until it has remained powered off for a few minutes (generally 4-5 minutes sometimes much less).

Note that the computer runs flawlessly while it is on. Have run prime95 for a few hours and have had no crashes what so ever. The cpu is not overclocked and peaks at about 67C when stress testing in prime95. The temp is a tad higher for my liking but well within the safe range.

So basically the computer runs fine, I can game, I can run prime95 with 100% stability (it posts with 1 beep meaning everything is fine), but as soon as I shutdown the computer it wont boot for another 5 mins or so of being unpowered. I have to switch off the PSU for a few minutes then switch it back on to boot the system again. Note that it restarts fine but only causes problems after a complete shutdown.

The rest of my hardware is an Asus EAH 5870 and my PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W. The psu is from my old computer and is about 2 years old. It was working fine on my older system so I dint feel the need to buy a new one. It is about 2.5 years old and my old system used to be switched on almost 24*7.

Im at my wits end as to whats causing this. Ive tried using RAM modules one by one and have the same issue. Is this an indication of a dying PSU or a faulty motherboard? Any help would be much appreciated

Looks like it's a capacitor somewhere to me but did you set the RAM voltage in your BIOS to the one specified by the manufacturer? I don't know that specific PSU it seems you have 4 12V rails, try to balance the 12V rails so none has too much load on it. Two of them for the video card, one for mobo/CPU, one for the peripherals.

Altfire

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
It does Sound like a Capacitor issue to me. For some reason it appears they need to drain before you can reboot and run power. IT almost seems like your board is getting to much power or its not fully shutting down. IT could be a PSU or a mobo issue.

Rookee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I had a spare corsair 450W PSU lying around. Removed the thermaltake i was using and plugged in the corsair and no longer have the problem. Can shutdown and and then instantly power back up just fine.

Although i am surprised that a 450W PSU is enough to run an i7 950, 12 gigs of tripple channel ddr3 ram, the rampage III gene mobo, a 5870, the hdd, dvd rw and about 6 120mm fans and 2 250mm fans. Im sure that its just barely enough to run the system. (none of my components are being OC'd atm). Is it safe to run a PSU which is just barely enough or could it potentially harm my system?

Rookee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Also I have one last question. With the PSU why wouldnt it cause the same problem on my older mobo? I never had the problem of waiting a few minutes after a shutdown on my older mobo to power it back up again. It only started when i plugged the thermaltake into my new system? (My old system was an i5 650 4 gigs of ddr3 ram and the same graphics card).

Anyhow the corsair VX 450W seems to be doing fine atm.