led_tool_mises

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
hi, first time computer builder here... i'm going to lay out all the components i plan on buying, and was wondering if you could tell me if it would work or not (enough pci slots, compatible cpu/mobo, etc.). any help would be appreciated.

mobo: gigabit ga-ma785gmt-ud2h am3
cpu: amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition
gpu: xfx hd-485x
hdd: samsung spinpoint f3 hd1035j 1tb
ram: g.skill 2x2gb 240pin ddr3
media drive: pioneer bdr-205bks
*sound card: ht omega claro+ 7.1
case: antec nine hundred black steel atx mid tower
psu: corsair cmpsu-750tx 750w atx 12v
*tv: hauppauge wintv 1850 mce kit

i think that's about it. hopefully i have a complete setup there. i was also wondering about a wireless-n card, preferably with bluetooth. is that built into other components? cause i could find very little when i searched online.

*indicate components that won't be bought initially to help with cost, but will add on later.

i built a computer very, very similar to this on hp's website, and the cost was about the same, except theirs came with 2gb more ram, and windows 7 pre-installed. just curious as to why that sounds too good to be true....

i guess i should mention this will (hopefully) be hooked up to a 32 vizio sv320svt, and will be running ubuntu 10 (final build released april 29th). will the hardware work with that, or should i plan on buying windows 7?

i plan on using this computer to watch blu ray movies, and listen to lossless music. i guess what's called a htpc.

if you suggest other hardware, please let me know as well. i want to do this correctly.

sorry about the length and seemingly endless questions, but i really want to learn how to build computers! haha

-ad

randomkid

Distinguished
^1. I love the X3 435 for moderate use PC... and I love to get the 890GX or FX motherboard too if I hadn't bought the 790FX just 2 months ago...

With this, you can omit the gpu: xfx hd-485x and get the *sound card: ht omega claro+ 7.1 and the *tv: hauppauge wintv 1850 mce kit instead as these will be more suitable and complementing for your movie watching than a very high end gfx.

randomkid

Distinguished

I'd let the PSU be in case the OP decides to go more extreme gaming and plug in a video card after all. Anyway PSU's do not depreciates as much at CPU and GPU.

ONI Assassin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
can i throw a question in here please, im getting a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 mainboard, and was wondering if the Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) for i7 Motherboards memory and wanted to check the memory will work with the mainboard.

randomkid

Distinguished

It will work. It is not officially in that mobo RAM support list, but the 1GB version is. Any way, if you want to be sure, pick those that are in the official support list:
http://www.gigabyte.co.id/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud7.pdf

Also, it is always better to open a new thread if you have questions not related to the original posts. There is a "Motherboard & Memory" section where this kind of question will be more suitable. You may still get answer if you post just anywhere but you earn more points just by posting a question of your own in your own thread.