Noctua 6 as good as they say?

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
yes that is a good cooler and should keep your cpu under 80C idk about 4.5+ you'd have to see what voltages you chip would agree with running lol

Although I would recommend the h100 instead for many different reasons... one of them being room. You'll actually have room for ram...

Hi videl! :hello:

To: Panicmaster,

Assuming you're referring to the Noctua NH-D14, it is a big air cooler and very capable, but does interfere with some memory module slots on some motherboards, so I'll 2nd videl's suggestion.

However if you go with a CLC, remember to make provisions for airflow over the motherboard VRs.

Squall321

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
i'm very happy with my noctua nh-d14. but yes, the cooler is a monstrosity. it will not fit with ram that got those "extended" radiators. but will fit fine with standard ram(the cooler will go over those). another thing is to consider if you got enough "headroom", since the cooler is very tall too. clocked my i5 760 to 3.3ghz, with stock cooler i get 70-75C with intel burn test. with my noctua i get 35-40C with intel burn test.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Ryan, Great to see you again... I haven't been on here in a while. I see alot of those members we used to hang out on the same threads are now gone. Kinda sad :( but its great to see some familiar "faces" like you and random...

I'm actually looking at the D14 as I type this. I just took it off one of my builds that I plan to redo with some upgraded components. Its a beast of a cooler... heavy, big, 6 heat pipes...lol

It cools pretty well for an air cooler... and I do love it in its own way. But another thing I realized thats a pain is mounting. Mounting and mounting the cooler is a bit of a pain. However, if you only mount it once and don't need to ever take it off that won't be a problem for you.

For me, out of all the coolers than I have gone through, the h100 is my favorite when it comes to zero hassle cooling setups. Sure, real water cooling loop is better... but its not zero hassle. lol The h100 can be classified differently. In one way its a lot like a conventional air cooler in the sense that its ready to go (zero hassle) In another way its different and works exactly like a water cooling setup... ones thats easy to set up but has no flexibility... you can't add on another water block or loop...

@Panicmaster85 I hope this helps you with your decision on what cooler to get. ;)

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Yes, these are all great coolers. So you do have choices and options. I would just weigh all the variables and choose what you think makes sense to get. Something that matches your needs and seems reasonable for the price. There is no wrong choice here.

Good luck panicmaster85 ;)

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
My NH-D14 keeps my stock i7-3930k at idle-20-30C with load no higher than 50C

I only have one 120mm fan running on it too, in the middle between the two towers, I only assume It'd improve with the 2nd fan added back on(currently on my chassis).