Solved

1TB or 2TB

Hello,

I'm picking a HDD for storage today, hope someone can give a suggestion.

Cacviar black 1TB or Ecogreen F4 2TB??

They are $110 and $120 on Newegg.com now, don't think F4 is much slower than Caviar Black but still need u guys give some thoughts.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. What is the purpose of the drive?
  2. wow quick reply man, thx.

It's mainly for torrent download, 1080p playback, video storage.
  3. If you're putting games on the drive, get the Caviar Black. You'll appreciate the faster read speeds.

If you just want a ton of storage for DVD rips and such, get the Ecogreen. Even the slowest HDD on the planet is plenty fast to play a movie without issue.
  4. willard said:
    If you're putting games on the drive, get the Caviar Black. You'll appreciate the faster read speeds.

If you just want a ton of storage for DVD rips and such, get the Ecogreen. Even the slowest HDD on the planet is plenty fast to play a movie without issue.

Does winRAR decompression speed affected by hard drive??
  5. tomatthe said:
    What is the purpose of the drive?

wow quick reply man, thx.

It's mainly for torrent download, 1080p playback, video storage.
  6. I have a M4 64GB SSD for OS, the HDD I'm buying today is just for video, music storage.
  7. thegamecpt said:
    Does winRAR decompression speed affected by hard drive??

Yes, if your CPU is fast enough the drive will become the bottleneck. Differences could be fairly significant, but still, decompressing a few gigabytes should only take a minute or two.
  8. If you are buying a HDD today, which one would you buy? F4 or Back?
  9. If all you want the drive for is HD video storage, I'd go with the 2TB. I've got a 1TB and 1.5TB in my main system, and it got full with only a few hundred movies and about a dozen TV shows (all episodes). Going to buy 10TB more once prices get back to normal later this year or early next.

I don't like deleting things. I guess you could call me a digital hoarder.
  10. Are your drives 7200 or 5400RPM? Can you really feel the speed difference??
  11. Best answer
    All my drives are 7200RPM. Both were home to games at some point, and I needed the throughput. Now that I've got 184GB of SSDs in my system, all they do is store media. If I were buying the drives today, I'd go with whichever drives got me the most storage for my money. Maybe spend 10% more or so to get slightly faster drives just so I wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel on performance.
  12. Thx for quick reply man, I think I will get Ecogreen F4 today.
  13. Best answer selected by thegamecpt.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage