thegamecpt

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,

I'm picking a HDD for storage today, hope someone can give a suggestion.

Cacviar black 1TB or Ecogreen F4 2TB??

They are $110 and $120 on Newegg.com now, don't think F4 is much slower than Caviar Black but still need u guys give some thoughts.

Solution
All my drives are 7200RPM. Both were home to games at some point, and I needed the throughput. Now that I've got 184GB of SSDs in my system, all they do is store media. If I were buying the drives today, I'd go with whichever drives got me the most storage for my money. Maybe spend 10% more or so to get slightly faster drives just so I wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel on performance.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
If you're putting games on the drive, get the Caviar Black. You'll appreciate the faster read speeds.

If you just want a ton of storage for DVD rips and such, get the Ecogreen. Even the slowest HDD on the planet is plenty fast to play a movie without issue.

thegamecpt

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Does winRAR decompression speed affected by hard drive??

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Yes, if your CPU is fast enough the drive will become the bottleneck. Differences could be fairly significant, but still, decompressing a few gigabytes should only take a minute or two.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
If all you want the drive for is HD video storage, I'd go with the 2TB. I've got a 1TB and 1.5TB in my main system, and it got full with only a few hundred movies and about a dozen TV shows (all episodes). Going to buy 10TB more once prices get back to normal later this year or early next.

I don't like deleting things. I guess you could call me a digital hoarder.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
All my drives are 7200RPM. Both were home to games at some point, and I needed the throughput. Now that I've got 184GB of SSDs in my system, all they do is store media. If I were buying the drives today, I'd go with whichever drives got me the most storage for my money. Maybe spend 10% more or so to get slightly faster drives just so I wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel on performance.

Solution