Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS: bad DVI cable or software prob?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2010 7:58:04 PM

Hi people, my specs are the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core @ 2,66 GHz
MB: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
GPU: nVidia GeForce XFX GTX285 Black Edition
PSU: Apevia ATX-WA750W Warlock
Chasis: NZXT Lexa Blackline ATX
RAM: 6 GB triple channel DDR3 Corsair Core i7 Dominator @ 1,6 GHz
HDD: 1 x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda + 1 x 1 TB Hitachi (no raid)
Display: 24" ACER H243HBmid

The problem is the following. I have often realized that occasionally I get low FPS, either in games, either in BluRay movies, heck... even on Youtube HD. My GTX285 is the second in line of nVidia's (so I am sure the video card is not the cause of this low-FPS problem), my monitor runs 1080p games and movies without any problem (refresh rate is 60MHz and speed is 2ms). And yet... I get low FPS!

I've heard that when it comes about movies, it could be because of some codecs that I don't have installed, or something similar (making it sound like a software issue). But I tend not to believe that, considering the problem also occurs when watching 1080p content on youtube (this clip for instance, which allows the users to choose 1080p size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI&). And all the clips on YT are flash clips.

Second thing, the DVI cable that I bought, I sort of believe is a piece of junk. I bought it really cheap from eBay (like under 3 bucks or so), one end does not even screw correctly / completely, could this cable be the cause? Because I know that my video card can broadcast more than 30-60 FPS, and my monitor obviously can read more than that. Could it be a cable problem?

I personally believe is the cable which is the problem. I am just about to order a replacement from Cables-To-Go. Can you also help me with this choice?
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 9:17:14 PM

You should check your actual framerates using FRAPS. If it says it's 60+ but you notice stuttering, then it might be your cable. I've used cheap cables and haven't experienced problems with them, so I doubt that. If FRAPS measures your framerates as 10-20, then something else is wrong. Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? Also, check your temperatures using HWMonitor to see if your components might be overheating.
March 9, 2010 11:50:54 PM

Digital cables either work or don't. They cannot be responsible for low fps.
Never heard about this PSU. Is it good enough? If for some reason it fails feeding your gpu, then the video card will reduce performance.
Can you get it checked?
Related resources
March 10, 2010 5:52:00 AM

gracefully said:
You should check your actual framerates using FRAPS. If it says it's 60+ but you notice stuttering, then it might be your cable. I've used cheap cables and haven't experienced problems with them, so I doubt that. If FRAPS measures your framerates as 10-20, then something else is wrong. Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? Also, check your temperatures using HWMonitor to see if your components might be overheating.

Fraps, in all my BluRay movies reports 25 FPS constant. But in this the YouTube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI& if I choose 1080p, Fraps will report that the actual FPS fluctuates from 40-45-60 FPS. Which is wrong! I clearly see, there is a moment when the guy who's filming zooms out. And I can see how he zooms out in stops, (not smoothly as I'd expect) although Fraps reads in that very same moment 60 FPS.

"Are you using the latest drivers for your video card?" -- yes, everything is at the latest version, I keep my rig updated always.
"Also, check your temperatures using HWMonitor to see if your components might be overheating." -- I am using an utility for my motherboard (ASUS Rampage II Extreme) and nVidia System Monitor, the temps are OK.
March 10, 2010 5:58:55 AM

galta said:
Digital cables either work or don't. They cannot be responsible for low fps.
Never heard about this PSU. Is it good enough? If for some reason it fails feeding your gpu, then the video card will reduce performance.
Can you get it checked?

As a matter of fact, the digital cables could also matter... I read after I've initially posted this, that you can get an increase in the refresh rate using the right DVI cable... it must be a dual link or whatever, I am not too much familiar with these terms. One thing I know though, my monitor reads DVI-D under the input from the computer, and my GTX285 has 2 DVI outputs. Can't see if they're DVD-D (dual link...?).

"Never heard about this PSU. Is it good enough? If for some reason it fails feeding your gpu, then the video card will reduce performance." -- The minimum to run a GTX285 is 550W if I remember correctly. This PSU outputs 750W: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite... I mostly bought it for its design, it has 3 lights that you can choose to have them switch automatically. It outputs 750W, so I believe it is OK...

So the way I see it, it seems that all the problem is the poor DVI cable that I have... and here I have another question. My video card can output HDMI, will I get a better performance if I connect my monitor by HDMI instead of DVI?
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 11:50:33 AM

Criss-AC said:
The minimum to run a GTX285 is 550W if I remember correctly.

That is for a complete "typical system. A GTX285 by itself only needs about 200 watts.

Traditionally, Apevia PSU's weren't that good. They have been trying to improve. If the Warlock is one of the improved ones and it is working completely, the power supply is probably not your problem.
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 3:49:14 PM

...wow, some uninformed responses here...

The cable has nothing to do whatsoever with how fast the GPU can create frames, it only deals with transmission to the screen. You can have no DVI cable and you still get the same exact numbers (albeit you can't SEE them...)

Secondly, FRAPS measures how many frames the GPU sends per second. Blu ray movies play at 24Hz, so if you watch in WMP, you "should" get 24 [Which you do; the 25Hz you pick up is due to an extra framebuffer swap that FRAPS picks up].

If however you watch that same movie from youtube, you aren't watching a 24Hz movie anymore, you are watching a video on a website that displays at 60Hz instead. So a reading of 60Hz is in fact correct as well. You sometimes get LESS then that though, which means there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system.

EDIT

Re-wrote Youtube section for better clarity.
March 10, 2010 4:42:48 PM

True, obviously. But if not every signal the GPU creates makes it to the monitor, he won't see 24FPS.

Does it lag in the same spots consistently, or is it random? Do you have an analog or HDMI cable to check with? How's your 3DMARK score?
March 10, 2010 8:07:49 PM

smithereen said:
True, obviously. But if not every signal the GPU creates makes it to the monitor, he won't see 24FPS.

Does it lag in the same spots consistently, or is it random? Do you have an analog or HDMI cable to check with? How's your 3DMARK score?

It is only at times, randomly. I have only this DVI cable to check with. My 3DMARK score is 15,413: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1977706
March 10, 2010 10:25:45 PM

That seems fine. At this point, crazy as it sounds, it might just be the cable.
!