EcoGreen F4 2TB

Solution
Yep! I have 5 of them.

Even though they are only 5400rpm, they kept right up with my 1TB 7200rpm drives (Samsung SpinPoint F3) in benchmarks. It has to do with platter size and drive compression. I have benchmarks at home that'll I'll post later.

I have 2 in each of 2 PCs: one as Data & Media, other as BackUps.

I even had 2 of them in RAID 0 for 4TB of storage. But I got rid of the 1TB drives I had for just the 2TB drives.

Only advice I can give is don't buy them used on eBay in the winter. The cold killed it during shipping (the 5th one not used).

Too bad that Samsung sold it's hard drive business to Seagate! These SpinPoint drives were some of the best!
Yep! I have 5 of them.

Even though they are only 5400rpm, they kept right up with my 1TB 7200rpm drives (Samsung SpinPoint F3) in benchmarks. It has to do with platter size and drive compression. I have benchmarks at home that'll I'll post later.

I have 2 in each of 2 PCs: one as Data & Media, other as BackUps.

I even had 2 of them in RAID 0 for 4TB of storage. But I got rid of the 1TB drives I had for just the 2TB drives.

Only advice I can give is don't buy them used on eBay in the winter. The cold killed it during shipping (the 5th one not used).

Too bad that Samsung sold it's hard drive business to Seagate! These SpinPoint drives were some of the best!

Solution

thegamecpt

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I appreciate for the info. You gave me a lot of confidence on buying this drive, coz I never used Samsung drives before, and always stick with WD.

I just ordered a Ecogreen F4 today noon on Newegg, it will arrive tomorrow(incredible fast shipping process from Newegg).

How was ur RAID 0 set-up running? Stable? any drive failed?

Btw, how do you RMA Samsung drives now?

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Only advice I can give is don't buy them used on eBay in the winter. The cold killed it during shipping (the 5th one not used).[/quotemsg]

The cold shouldn't kill them, so long as you don't try to run them cold. Whenever I get a new hard drive I always let it warm up inside and wait for the condensation to try off (takes a few hours) then I run badblocks -ws to make sure the drive isn't about to fail on me.

TRENDING THREADS