Would a Phenom II 940BE be a good upgrade!

Forgetfull

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I am looking at replacing my Phenom II 810 with a better CPU but I just can't come up with the cash to replace it with a Phenom II x6 1055T. So I was looking at the 940BE edition as a replacement. So would the 940BE be a good upgrade or should I just hold off and keep on saving up my money to buy the x6 CPU I mentioned above. I due about everything on my PC. I play a FPS games, Listen and Download Music, Watch movies and Check E-Mail, Video Editing, etc. So would the 940BE be a better upgrade or not. Thanks.

Solution
You guys are seriously suggesting spending 179 for a quad core when he can spend 20 dollars more for a 6 core?

It really depends on what he does with his computer and how limited his purchasing ability actually is.

I am looking at replacing my Phenom II 810 with a better CPU but I just can't come up with the cash to replace it with a Phenom II x6 1055T.

That was the reasoning by my first suggestions, some budget situations won't even allow a $34.00 dollar increase.

You also have to at least take into consideration the missing information, like what motherboard is he planning on dropping this new CPU into.

Also just because AMD released a 6 core CPU its not walking away on the gaming scene, and just like when they threw...

hemmi

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I really dont see it making a huge difference. Will be faster at encoding. I just bought the 940be but I had a x2 3800+ before. Big difference there especially in BC2. FPS went from 15-25 to 25-50 with a 9800gtx+. (Med.settings, x1024). But 810 to 940 I just could'nt pull the trigger.

sisley_111

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Clock are higher for sure but the 940 is a AM2+ compatible CPU not AM3. So your mother board should be compliant. If you can afford a 955BE, go with a 925. Not a black edition one, but it will be overclock well, just the difficulty will a little bit higher.

Honestly, if you're not going to overclock the CPU, the difference between the 810 and the 940 will not be that great.

Go for a 955BE and overclock it to 3.6GHz, so like that you will see a good difference.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Consider the best AMD quad core, phenom II 965BE. It is basically an upgrade from 810 and much better than the 940 that you are considering. At 3.4 Ghz stock speed, it will already give you an 800 MHz increase from your 810 without overclocking. And if you want to overclock, it will be easy due to the unlocked multiplier.

Definitely go with a AMD Black Edition CPU so you can overclock it easily if you so desire to overclock it.

The AMD BE 940's Hyper Transport was limited to 3600mhz, for that very reason I'd avoid it, it was a disappointing overclocking CPU $125.99 w Free Shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

The AMD 955 BE for $34.00 more w a 4000mhz Hyper Transport is a much better choice over the 940 @ $159.99 and also Free Shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

Compare the Specifications tabs between the 2 CPUs noting the Hyper Transport speed difference

Whatever you decide to do on your upgrade path, make sure you BIOS flash your motherboard in advance to prepare it for the new CPU.

I secondly approve this suggestion!
However it may be outside your budget allowance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03727&cm_re=AMD_965_BE-_-19-103-727-_-Product
$54.00 more also w Free Shipping.

You guys are seriously suggesting spending 179 for a quad core when he can spend 20 dollars more for a 6 core?

It really depends on what he does with his computer and how limited his purchasing ability actually is.

I am looking at replacing my Phenom II 810 with a better CPU but I just can't come up with the cash to replace it with a Phenom II x6 1055T.

That was the reasoning by my first suggestions, some budget situations won't even allow a $34.00 dollar increase.

You also have to at least take into consideration the missing information, like what motherboard is he planning on dropping this new CPU into.

Also just because AMD released a 6 core CPU its not walking away on the gaming scene, and just like when they threw the crippled 940 into the brew, things seem to get better with AMD with time, and sometimes patience can pay off in the long run.

Now if the AMD 6 core was performing as well as the Intel 6 core is, for a bargain basement price the choice would be a No-Brainer, but that's not the case.

Solution
Would a Phenom II 940BE be a good upgrade!

I got involved in this thread from the title, and IMO the 940BE is a CPU AMD should have never released, it has a crippled Hyper Transport, and was a total overclocking disappointment to me, it came close to being the last AMD CPU I ever purchased, Thankfully the 965BE has completely restored my faith in AMD, it overclocks easily to 4G on air cooling, and IMO is one of the best CPUs AMD has ever released.

loneninja

Distinguished

Can't say I don't like my 940BE, but my motherboard defaults the northbridge/L3 to 1.6Ghz and I need 1.45V to achieve 3.6Ghz. My Phenom 9850 has more headroom as far as clock speed increase is concerned. lol

I had similar results with my Phenom 9950 BE.

I have a 940BE and I couldn't be happier with it. IMO, it's retarded to buy a CPU and overclock it right away. I prefer to get a good CPU that I don't need to overclock and I overclock it when it starts to become too slow for the newer programs (which it certainly hasn't yet). Crysis runs perfectly along with everything else I've ever tried using it for. If you have to OC a CPU as soon as you buy it like some people here apparently do (God only knows why), that means you should have bought a better CPU to begin with but were too cheap or too poor to do so. Honestly, I think you should just stick with what you have, keeping in mind that the 810 is not considered obsolete by any stretch when one considers that there are still dual and triple core CPUs being sold by AMD and the Athlon II AM3 series is still inferior to the Phenom II AM2+ series in terms of performance. You have a Deneb Quad-Core CPU for Christ's sake! There's nothing wrong with what you have and I am forced to wonder why you want to upgrade a CPU that you probably have barely had for a year. If your machine seems slow, do other things like increasing your RAM, switching to W7 x64, making sure that your registry is clean, etc. If none of those work, overclock your 810 to a speed that has been reported as low stable and inch your way up. At 3.0GHz, you'll be at the same speed of a 940 anyway and a 400MHz OC is by no means hard to do on a Deneb CPU. Here are some questions that should have been asked but haven't yet for some reason:

1.) What OS are you using?
(If you have "Beelzebub's Operating System of the Damned, aka Vista, that's your real problem! Also, you should use Windows 7 x64 if possible so you can use more RAM than 3.25GB)
2.) How much RAM do you have and what is the speed?
(530, 667, 800, 1000, 1066)
3.) What are your hard drive specs and is it properly defragged?
(RPM, seek time, brand, capacity) - Defragging should be done with piriform defraggler, windows defrag sucks
4.) Do you keep your registry and temp directories clean with CCleaner and RegScrubVistaXP? (Don't use those on Windows 7)
5.) Do you have a ton of programs loaded into memory that you never use?
6.) What GPU do you have?

All of these questions point directly to things that affect your system performance. They need to be addressed because if there's a problem with one of these, then your upgrade to a 940 might make little to no difference and that would truly suck.

The last and most important questions are:

7.) What exactly is your budget (and in what currency)?
8.) Why do you want to upgrade? Is your computer slow or are you just trying to keep up with the Joneses on tomshardware? If it's the latter, you're wasting your time. Answer me all the questions I asked and I'll be better able to give you an answer that will help rather than just guessing. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS