DDR2&DDR3

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Iam sure that this has been asked,i have just quickly gone through the posts but could not see the question i am about to ask,so sorry if i duplicate it.Basicly i want to know if there is any big performance gaines from DDR2&3 also between dual channel and triple channel.
Many thanks.

cschweizer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

DDR2 (Double Data Rate 2) memory has been available for quite some time. New computers, even computers released within the last three years or so come equipped with DDR2 memory. An improvement over DDR memory, DDR2 produces faster performance with less energy consumption. With the way that DDR memory products are designed, none is backwards or forward compatible with the other. For example, if you have DDR memory, you will not be able to upgrade using DDR2 or DDR3 memory. You can only upgrade DDR memory with other DDR memory.

DDR3 memory is still relatively new, and is the most advanced and up-to-date technology you could put on your computer. It does work faster than DDR2 memory, and even uses less energy to perform at such a high capacity. Because this technology is still fairly recent, you probably won’t find it a lot in new computers. One of the biggest setbacks in regards to DDR3 memory is its entry level price range. The lowest price you’ll find for DDR2 memory is about $18, whereas DDR3 at its cheapest ranges around $85. This comparison is used with a stick of 1GB memory for desktop computers.

Which is the Better Value?

As it currently stands, top-of-the-line DDR2 memory would be a far better investment than an entry-level DDR3 stick of memory. A lot of this has to do with how long DDR2 memory has been around and its overall popularity. DDR3 will eventually come of age, but it is still a bit too early to say.

Chris.

Gimp

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
If you are willing to pay the price ddr3 i would get even tho more expensive performance slightly better than ddr2 but you will not notice the difference so much in everyday computing as in gaming.

cschweizer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

You got that right.

Chris..

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks very much for the replies,much appriciated,i do have DDR2 now,but i think ill stick with it then for the time being,maybe just upgrade the DDR2.
Thanks again.