Packard bell istart d2391 problems

terry_62

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
When adding 1gb of ram purchased from crucial after their scan the extra ram is not reading. The system imformation is still reading 1gb of ram instead of 2gb. This is the second time I tried from using crucial scanner.Can anybody help on this matter. Many thanks

acer0169

Distinguished
Have you tired placing the new RAM in slot 1, and removing the old RAM all together to make sure the new stick is working correctly? Also.. if your motherboard has 4 RAM slots you normally don't put the two sticks next to each other, but instead place them in slot 1 and slot 3.

You install RAM as follows:
(1 = RAM, 0 = empty)

One stick: 1000
Two sticks: 1010
Three sticks: 1110
Four sticks: 1111

terry_62

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

Thanks for your reply acer0169, I have tried placing the new ram in slot one and it works fine I then put the original ram in slot 2[ this computer only has 2 slots] and it still only reads the one card, 1gb. I dont know what else I can do could it be something wrong with the motherboard

acer0169

Distinguished
Hmm. Strange that they both work in the first slot but not the second.

Only things that come to mind are..

Are the two RAM sticks the same? IE, same speed, timings etc?
Do you have another motherboard you can test both sticks or RAM on?

terry_62

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

You where right the two ram sticks did not work together,having tried the one from crucial in slot one & two on its own it worked both times so I e-mailed crucial support telling them what ram came with the computer[transcend 1gb ram] they told me that there was a density difference between the two, so I ordered another one from crucial and it works fine.
So if anybody else wants to upgrade the memory on one of these models buy two 1gb ram from crucial or a 1gb transcend ram from packard bell, its well worth upgrading much faster now,many thanks for your help acer 0169 and to the crucial support team