Sign in with
Your question

New AMD build advice & components needed

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2010 2:31:06 PM

Ok so I am in need of some AMD advice. Before asking someone else to build a pc for me I am looking for complete systems that are documented as working so I can copy the build from them. I want to build one pc as a game and video editing. If anyone can help me out with the components that will be great. I plan to use "http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?..." for cooling the cpu mostly. I am in Wisconsin,usa. I want something that will last at least 10yrs , quad with win 7
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2010 2:46:54 PM

Perhaps you should follow the guidelines (link's in my signature). We really need a budget to do anything.

As far as the "documented as working", I have no idea what you're looking for here. I can guarantee that almost anything people throw up here will be compatible, but there will never been any documentation to prove that. Also, you can always get a bad component and not have the build work.

Something to point out, but you're asking the impossible. There is no computer on Earth that can last you 10 years with great performance. Obviously, a build can last for 10 years, but after 5-6 years, it would be a low performer. And to get that longevity, you're looking at needing to spend at least $2,300, and I doubt you're looking to spend that.

Another thing to point out is that water cooling isn't necessary nor advisable. You'll spend a good $300-500 more (counting the additional cost to water cool the GPU), and won't get anything that air cooling can't deliver. The best air cooling systems (HSF, cases, etc.) can provide extremely high overclocks (as high as water cooling systems) and often do it with less noise, as well as a lot less hassle. Not to mention the possiblity of springing a leak and losing everything.
March 25, 2010 8:49:43 PM

I would prefer to purchase from Newegg.com and stay around $1000.00 without water cooling My last pc (dell 8400) lasted 15yrs and even though it wasn't updated I was very much satisfied with it. What I would like to have is either the "Antec Nine Hundred" or "Antec Twelve Hundred" case and the "GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA" motherboard with a Processor of "AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz" a single graphics card will do possibly going to dual later if I have to have two big onitors (right now I just a have one 22 inch. So I just need a power supply,memory,operating system,optical drive or two, . I already have the monitor,keyboard,mouse.
Related resources
March 25, 2010 10:20:45 PM

Water cooling isn't very useful. You can get just as high of an overclock on air and usually it's just as quiet. What's your budget including the water cooling?

Is the OS's price included in the $1,000 budget? If so, you're not getting a gaming power house. Which might be ok if you're monitor's resolution is under 1920x1080.

Here's what I'd build with $1,000:

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $265 after rebate. The 955 and the 965 are the same chip, and there isn't any difference once you start overclocking.
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
PSU: Corsair 750W $90 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate. The Antecs are nice cases, but they're just not big enough to fit the larger video cards. This case is easily the best case on the market. It's also one of the cheapest high quality cases out there.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35
GPU: HD 5770 $150. Not the best gaming card, unless your monitor is only a 1600x model. Obviously, if you don't need the OS in the $1,000, you can upgrade this to the HD 5850 for $300.

Total: $929

I would highly recommend dropping the X4 955 to a X3 440 (in a combo with the board for $195 after rebate). That would get you close to affording the HD 5850 (or the 5870 if you don't need the OS in the budget), which is good for gaming at 1900x resolutions.
March 26, 2010 1:28:35 AM

I did do a quick build from newegg and came up with $1193.00 I am not sure why everyone is saying that I should only spend $1000.00 . My old dell 8400 was $2300.00 new So Yes I would like to spend less but I am more than comfortable spending $1500.00 without the OS , Either way its more of video editing than gaming. I think I would just play Halo CE with it anyways and would like to have at least a TB of hard drive space on one drive or a couple of 750GB hard drives. I thought of getting a SSD hard drive but I do not need the speed so much as the quad cores to handle the multiple programs. Everything you have "MadAdmiral" seems fine to me. However I think I will get the "Antec Twelve Hundred" just my taste I geuss. Thanks for your advice though.
March 26, 2010 1:53:56 AM

I don't get the only spending $1,000 for a build. It's not like you would be wasting anything above that. If you'd like to spend the $1,500, you'd get a much better build, especially for video editing.

I understand on the case. I'm using the Antec 902 right now, and it's an excellent case and looks great. However, I did get it when it was on sale for about $80...

Here's what I would change:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580
RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $180
GPU: HD 5870 (link above) $420
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90
Case: Antec 1200 $160
Rest is the same

Total: $1,429 (no OS). The i7-930 is the perfect workhorse CPU, and the 5870 is an excellent gaming card.
March 26, 2010 1:56:46 AM

Uh, lol, he was only saying you should stay around 1000 dollars because that is what you said in your post.

If you are willing to spend 1500 dollars and are going to be doing mostly video editing, maybe you should look into an I7...I'm not an expert but my understanding is that, while performance in games is not always astronomically better vs. an AMD Phenom x4, in things like video editing, etc. the core I7 are a significant improvement.

But yeah, you told them to keep it around 1000 bucks so that is what MadAdmiral did for you.

a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 2:17:46 AM

I'm not sure I would bother with such a good graphics card for Halo 1...

But the CPU choice I agree with if video editing is your main concern.

But keeping the same computer for the same use for 10+ years? Wait, what? Seriously?

Edit: The dell 8400 you mentioned I googled and it has a pentium 4, it's physically impossible to have had that for 15 years.
March 26, 2010 11:22:43 AM

Yes, the GPU is overkill in the i7 build. However, if you wanted to play newer games, it would be very good to have it. In addition, keeping it makes the build fairly balanced, as you have a very high end CPU paired with a high end GPU. You could easily drop the 5870 down to the 5850 or 5770 and save some money.
March 27, 2010 9:10:01 PM

Thanks again for every ones input. I meant to say I had friends not on this forum say what my expense should be-sorry about that. As far as the age of my old dell I could be wrong but it is old and I do need to replace it.Again sorry if the age is wrong .
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 6:43:18 AM

I was just pointing out that keeping a single computer for 10 years (for the same purpose) is very unrealistic. Then proved it with your own stuff.

What it actually is and how old it is doesn't really matter besides that.
!