Sign in with
Your question

.Seagate has me seasick

Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2012 7:53:19 PM

Hello, Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB drive on Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop is not recognized. Drivers & software are selfloading on the drive. I have updated all drivers and the device manager shows the drivce, but it is not shown or availabe in th listing for all other drives. I cannot find the necessary software for this drive. Also, this drive works perfectly on another VISTA driven laptop....so I know it works

More about : seagate seasick

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 25, 2012 8:46:04 PM

Hello,

Have you tried initilizing the drive? Click on start -> run and type in "Compmgmt.msc" without the quotes.

Go to disk management - right click on your drive and select initilize. You might have to assign it a drive letter.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:47:59 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

Have you tried initilizing the drive? Click on start -> run and type in "Compmgmt.msc" without the quotes.

Go to disk management - right click on your drive and select initilize. You might have to assign it a drive letter.

Hello....tried your suggestion; however, no success yet.....REALLY appreciate your response....this thing has been driving me nuts for 2 days...just decided to do an UNINSTALL.....will see if there's a change....again THANKS!
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 25, 2012 9:54:43 PM

cverell said:
Hello....tried your suggestion; however, no success yet.....REALLY appreciate your response....this thing has been driving me nuts for 2 days...just decided to do an UNINSTALL.....will see if there's a change....again THANKS!

I know the computer you trying to use is old - but which OS does it have? Windows XP? Windows 7?

Also does the HDD even show up in the Disk management at all?
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:31:14 PM

You're right...it's old..a Dell Inspiron 8100 circa 2002?....the reinstall didn't work; although, @ startup, the full name of the drive came up under new hardware device....also, Device manager indicates all is well, even though the drive icon does not appear in the my computer section with the other drives.

Operating system is XP Pro with an upgrade/update to S3. Also, bought a device driver software to review all device drivers and ran it.....no negative indications for the seagate.

Thanks for your interest......had a desktop crash last week and am trying to do a temporary work-aroud with this Dell veteran.
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:32:46 PM

Have to take a break.....bride is hollering....LATER
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 25, 2012 11:24:18 PM

Can you provide a screenshot of your disk management when the USB drive is plugged in?

I'm also wondering if your USB port cannot provide enough power to the drive. This was an issue with older laptops circa ~2000.

Just to be certain - nothing shows up when you try all the USB ports?

You should update your BIOS as well.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDeta...

I would recommend the Hard drive version - I highly doubt that laptop has a floppy in it? Plus the hard drive version should be easy to use.
m
l
!