Sign in with
Your question

Power breakdown

Last response: in Overclocking
February 5, 2013 4:58:23 PM

Hello,

So I have a basic question, which could interest you:

Supposed I sit there in my room at my computer having fun.
Suddenly the screen goes black because of an power breakdown, which makes the computer shutting down immediately.
So what could happen to my computer when this happens/ Could there be anything broken?

Please reply, thank you.

More about : power breakdown

a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 8:30:19 PM

maybe a corrupted file if you happen to be writing anything to the hdd while the power goes but that would be unlucky, as a once off occurance or does your power go off alot there should not be any damage
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 8:49:38 PM

If your power doesn't surge or spike up in voltage you should be fine. However if it does spike when going off ir when going back on, it may damage the psu... the rest depends on the damage done to the spu. If the psu takes in all the energy and damage and doesn't pass it along to the other components, the psu is the only thing that will die and need to get replaced.

However, usually that is unlikely like kiezz has said... but there is no 100% guarantee unless you have a power surge protector hooked up between your wall and your comp... and sometimes even that can't guarantee that it will not kill your system if a big voltage/amperage spike occurs...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 6, 2013 10:03:17 AM

videl said:
If your power doesn't surge or spike up in voltage you should be fine. However if it does spike when going off ir when going back on, it may damage the psu... the rest depends on the damage done to the spu. If the psu takes in all the energy and damage and doesn't pass it along to the other components, the psu is the only thing that will die and need to get replaced.

However, usually that is unlikely like kiezz has said... but there is no 100% guarantee unless you have a power surge protector hooked up between your wall and your comp... and sometimes even that can't guarantee that it will not kill your system if a big voltage/amperage spike occurs...

Thank you for answering.
Sorry, but what do you mean with: If your power doesn't surge or spike up in voltage you should be fine.
? power doesn't surge or spike up in voltage ?
Thank you a lot.
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 4:46:45 PM

Here is all of the basic information on power surges and spikes. Read it, its short.
http://www.westernextralite.com/resources.asp?key=64

Sometimes you would have a bigger spike/surge than usual when power goes out or comes back on. This means literally a surge/spike of voltage for a split second thats much higher than the standard voltage of your power outlet/socket. So if you're in the US and on the 115/120V 15/20 amp system, right before your power goes out you may have a spike of voltage >120V and possibly an amperage spike >20 amps. Same with European outlets, except it would have to be voltage spike >220V and >10 amps

Forgive me if my voltage/amp numbers are a bit off... I don't remember the exact standards. I put down what I remember from my computer classes...
!