Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade 667MHz FSB CPU

Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2010 7:42:45 PM

Hello,

I wish to upgrade the processor on my Toshiba P205-S6347 which has a Santa Rosa GM965 chip-set with a T5450 cpu running at 1.66GHz 667MHz FSB

I am not sure if because of the T5450 cpu, my laptop's FSB has been scaled down from 800MHz to 667MHz , and if so, by using a 800MHz cpu and BIOS changes, the FSB can resume at 800MHz.

I have read that the motherboard FSB might be upgradeable via the BIOS so that I can look for 800 MHz FSB CPUs >= 2.40GHz.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this?

More about : upgrade 667mhz fsb cpu

a c 93 à CPUs
June 4, 2010 8:56:26 PM

Even if you could upgrade the cpu, you would probably cause serious heat issues as the design of the cooling is for specific speed/family of cpu's and anything else is taking a risk.

If you do plan to do it, make sure cpu runs at 1.66Ghz to keep temps in spec and you'll have to swap your memory to get the full benefit of a fsb increase.
June 7, 2010 2:12:21 PM

das_stig said:
Even if you could upgrade the cpu, you would probably cause serious heat issues as the design of the cooling is for specific speed/family of cpu's and anything else is taking a risk.

If you do plan to do it, make sure cpu runs at 1.66Ghz to keep temps in spec and you'll have to swap your memory to get the full benefit of a fsb increase.

Good point about the running temperature, though a lot of the 800MHz FSB intel chips are at 45nm and run cooler than the 65nm 667FSB chips of lower GHz range.

I am still wondering about the FSB changing from 667->800 via the BIOS, does anyone have any experience here with laptops
!