Upgrade 667MHz FSB CPU

Hello,

I wish to upgrade the processor on my Toshiba P205-S6347 which has a Santa Rosa GM965 chip-set with a T5450 cpu running at 1.66GHz 667MHz FSB

I am not sure if because of the T5450 cpu, my laptop's FSB has been scaled down from 800MHz to 667MHz , and if so, by using a 800MHz cpu and BIOS changes, the FSB can resume at 800MHz.

I have read that the motherboard FSB might be upgradeable via the BIOS so that I can look for 800 MHz FSB CPUs >= 2.40GHz.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something like this?
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 667mhz
  1. Even if you could upgrade the cpu, you would probably cause serious heat issues as the design of the cooling is for specific speed/family of cpu's and anything else is taking a risk.

If you do plan to do it, make sure cpu runs at 1.66Ghz to keep temps in spec and you'll have to swap your memory to get the full benefit of a fsb increase.
  2. das_stig said:
    Even if you could upgrade the cpu, you would probably cause serious heat issues as the design of the cooling is for specific speed/family of cpu's and anything else is taking a risk.

If you do plan to do it, make sure cpu runs at 1.66Ghz to keep temps in spec and you'll have to swap your memory to get the full benefit of a fsb increase.

Good point about the running temperature, though a lot of the 800MHz FSB intel chips are at 45nm and run cooler than the 65nm 667FSB chips of lower GHz range.

I am still wondering about the FSB changing from 667->800 via the BIOS, does anyone have any experience here with laptops
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Processors