Nikon DSLR & Studio Strobe Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 3, 2004 3:09:11 AM

I've just gotten a Nikon D70 and the AS-15 hot-shoe to PC-sync adaptor. I'm
trying to find info on firing my studio strobes: Speedotron 2400's via the
sync cord with this setup. So far, I'm not having much luck on Google or
Google Groups. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? I don't want
to fry either the AS-15 or the D-70, or burn out my slave trigger in the
Speedotrons. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Hunt
December 3, 2004 3:38:59 AM

In article <cooar70i6r@news4.newsguy.com>, noone@hunt.com says...

>I've just gotten a Nikon D70 and the AS-15 hot-shoe to PC-sync adaptor. I'm
>trying to find info on firing my studio strobes: Speedotron 2400's via the
>sync cord with this setup. So far, I'm not having much luck on Google or
>Google Groups. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? I don't want
>to fry either the AS-15 or the D-70, or burn out my slave trigger in the
>Speedotrons. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA
>Hunt

Well, if you refine your search enough, you might find what you are looking
for! No sooner did I post, than I did another series of searches with every
combination of keywords that I could think of. THREE hits!!! It seems that the
Wein SafeSync (not the one that fits onto the camera hotshoe, like the AS-15
does, but the one that plugs into the pack, then has a PC-cord connection) is
the one to use. Seems that the Wein that basically replaces the AS-15 is not
that reliable. The strobe trigger voltage is regulated to 6v and this unit
seems to do what needs to be done.

Thought I'd pass this info on, and IF I don't fry the AS-15, or D-70, I'll
give a report of this unit with the Speedotrons.

It's kinda' like using Photoshop Help, if you know the exact phrases and words
to use, the answers are there. Search engines are getting smarter, but I'm not
sure that I am...

Hunt
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:18:01 AM

< It seems that the
Wein SafeSync (not the one that fits onto the camera hotshoe, like the AS-15
does, but the one that plugs into the pack, then has a PC-cord connection) is
the one to use. >

The Nikon AS-15 is an adapter but NOT a voltage filter. Either Wein will do the
trick, depending on your configuration. Also, Paramount makes a line of sync
cords with a voltage filter built in.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
henryp@bhphotovideo.com
Related resources
December 4, 2004 5:37:51 AM

In article <20041202211801.06439.00001354@mb-m18.aol.com>, bandhphoto@aol.com
says...

>< It seems that the
>Wein SafeSync (not the one that fits onto the camera hotshoe, like the AS-15
>does, but the one that plugs into the pack, then has a PC-cord connection) is
>the one to use. >
>
>The Nikon AS-15 is an adapter but NOT a voltage filter. Either Wein will do
the
>trick, depending on your configuration. Also, Paramount makes a line of sync
>cords with a voltage filter built in.
> - --
>
>regards,
>Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com
>henryp@bhphotovideo.com

Thank you for the note on Paramount. I had not run across them in my many
Google searches on this situation.

Right now, I've gone with the Wein and the AS-15, and will do some tests with
the Speedos this weekend. Provided that I don't burn up, or burn down the
studio, I'll report on how the rig functions. I find it a bit of a shame, that
the newer DSLR's don't seem to have a regular PC connection and circuit on
them, but I suppose that 99.9% of the buyers want to get by with the automated
flash units that work so well with the cameras. I'll admit that I've gotten a
bit lazy, since my F4 & SB's did such a nice job for many assignments.
However, I usually shot 4x5, or 2.25sq, so a PC to the big strobes was a
given.

Again, thanks for the feedback,
Hunt
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:37:52 AM

Hunt wrote:

> In article <20041202211801.06439.00001354@mb-m18.aol.com>, bandhphoto@aol.com
> says...
> >
> >< It seems that the
> >Wein SafeSync (not the one that fits onto the camera hotshoe, like the AS-15
> >does, but the one that plugs into the pack, then has a PC-cord connection) is
> >the one to use. >
> >
> >The Nikon AS-15 is an adapter but NOT a voltage filter. Either Wein will do
> the
> >trick, depending on your configuration. Also, Paramount makes a line of sync
> >cords with a voltage filter built in.
> > - --
> >
> >regards,
> >Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
> >http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> >henryp@bhphotovideo.com
>
> Thank you for the note on Paramount. I had not run across them in my many
> Google searches on this situation.
>
> Right now, I've gone with the Wein and the AS-15, and will do some tests with
> the Speedos this weekend. Provided that I don't burn up, or burn down the
> studio, I'll report on how the rig functions. I find it a bit of a shame, that
> the newer DSLR's don't seem to have a regular PC connection and circuit on
> them, but I suppose that 99.9% of the buyers want to get by with the automated
> flash units that work so well with the cameras. I'll admit that I've gotten a
> bit lazy, since my F4 & SB's did such a nice job for many assignments.
> However, I usually shot 4x5, or 2.25sq, so a PC to the big strobes was a
> given.

try a pocketwizard radio remote.
about 1,000 foot range, and no more sync cords.

the sync luxury solution!

!