HTPC Lowest TDP Possible

G

Hi everyone,

I already got my own desktop. I am looking to build an HTPC for my parents(They keep stealing my laptop) just to watch TV online and Internet browsing-Music, some solitaire games for my grandma hehe, playing 1080p videos is also required(For me :D,they cant even tell the diff, between 1080p and 480i ). BUT I am looking for the Lowest possible TDP ever made because that pc will be on 24/7 Fanless if possible. I know a laptop is the lowest TDP but laptops breaks more easly, battery problems, not easy to repare ... I guess that the lowest tdp motherboards are the 780-790 Amd variants. Is there a way to fit a Notebook cpu in a desktop motherboard? I found a CPU that uses only 8w load but its a notebook cpu SMF200UOAX3DV and not sure if it plays 1080p, Whats better for an HTPC, Linux or XP?

Budget: 300$

Thanks and I hope it is an interesting topic

The trick with the Atom setups is finding a case. Nearly all ITX cases come with a power supply or power brick but the Atom board already has its own power brick. I guess you could just ignore the extra power supply but it's such a waste.

Larger cases may not have a power supply bundled, but they'll have a big hole where one is supposed to go.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
You could also look into a Seagate HD Theater+ media player set-top box. On a sale it would only be around $125 and it does UPnP LAN streaming, playing content on a connected USB thumb/HDD drive, and can play it in 1080P.

G

I dont think its a pc though, looking to run windows.