H80i vs Hyper212+

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
hi.
i have the hyper 212+ and i was wondering if getting the corsair h80i would be a good upgrade?
like, would it be significant enough to upgrade/spend that?
what temperature differences should i expect?

yes i will be trying to overclock more.
my current cpu is a i7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz.
idle: ~32 C
prime95 100%: ~82 C

newegg:
hyper 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
h80i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031

spec:
i7-3770K @ 4.5
2x4gb @ 1800
660ti
120gb SSD
500gb HDD
Z77 mobo
750w psu

Solution

Not true. The H80i has a double thick radiator which helps a lot. The H80i also does a better job at absorbing the heat from the CPU with the new "i" series with the new and improved contacts. I own an H80i and a Hyper212+. at 4.5GHz I got up to 85c with the 212+. Now with my H80i the hottest I've gotten with 12 hours of prime 95 maximum heat test was 67c. Close to 20c drop. These people don't know what they're talking about. But, I would not buy an H80i just yet. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of...
Not really much of a difference between the two performance wise. There will be a difference, but it wouldnt justify the cost IMO.

My advice, mid-range coolers arent worth buying. Only get high or low end coolers.
So pony up for a H100i, which is the top of the CLC water-coolers, or get a Noctua NH-D14, the top of the air-coolers.
Or go all out and get custom water-cooling.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Not true. H80i easily beats CM Hyper 212+ by huge difference. Here's a test of H80i against H100i and other top coolers. And I can testify to its cooling ability since I own one.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/11/30/corsair-h80i-review/2

So forget your Hyper 212+ and H100i and get yourself the H80i.

A 212 EVO and a H60 are dead even, only a one degree difference between the two.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo/4.htm
Only real difference between a H60 and a H80i is thicker tubing, and better pump and fan. Not going to affect temperatures that much, as CLC coolers have always been radiator limited, which is why there's been this recent surge of 140mm CLC's like the NZXT Kraken and H110 and H90.

There will be a difference, don't get me wrong, but its not worth it IMO. For the price of that H80i, theres the Noctua NH-D14 that beats a H100i. And for the price of a H100i, your not far of being able to afford a custom loop, which will outperform a H100i by a long stretch.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Actually, toms did a review not long ago featuring top CLC and D14 and NH-D14 did not beat the H100i. I understand what you are saying but let's keep it withing the realm of data available. If it's savings he's looking for then sure but if he wants something better then no reason to get 212+ over H80i for better performance.

I like your attitude and followed your custom loop build. I think I will be going in that direction once the 900D comes out. I intend to water cool the 2 cards I have if not sale them and get the 2 titans and water cool those.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Not true. The H80i has a double thick radiator which helps a lot. The H80i also does a better job at absorbing the heat from the CPU with the new "i" series with the new and improved contacts. I own an H80i and a Hyper212+. at 4.5GHz I got up to 85c with the 212+. Now with my H80i the hottest I've gotten with 12 hours of prime 95 maximum heat test was 67c. Close to 20c drop. These people don't know what they're talking about. But, I would not buy an H80i just yet. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of problems with the software controlling the fans and the firmware updates. I had to RMA my first H80i because the firmware version 1.4 bricked a lot of the H80is. They still worked but the fans would run at 100% constantly (loud as hell) and the LED went off and the computer would not recognize the unit at all. They took off version 1.4 from their website so no one else could download it. Version 1.4 was supposed to fix the annoying fan rattling/pump rattling noise that many experienced (including me). They were not happy to find out that the rattling was gone but now the unit was semi-bricked. Now, with my second unit, the CPU bracket that goes behind the motherboard was damaged so one of the holes where the screw goes in was shorter than the rest, making an uneven contact with the CPU causing my temps to reach 90c on two cores and 70c on the other two. I found a way to fix it though. And, with this unit, I can't get my SP120s to go below 1800RPMs which is still pretty loud. They ramp up to full speed if I tell them too but I can't get them below 1800. Very frustrating. I have my fans connected to a PWM fan header with a y splitter so I can control them through my motherboard and speedfan. Now they're silent and the system is running great. I would wait another couple months for Corsair to work out the ridiculous amount of kinks. They should stop using the public consumers as free working beta testers. :(

So, expect about a 15c drop if you do upgrade. But if you have patience to save about 600$, you could get a kickass case with a kickass custom water loop to get you kickass temps and visuals. I would highly suggest doing that. Closed loops are nothing compared to custom loops. And they aren't that hard to do either. Two hours of research and two hours of assembling and testing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.