Sign in with
Your question

WHAT PARTS TO CHOOSE

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2010 3:57:22 PM

Hi all i have just recently built a small rig for my father after having some unstable issues with games .and given my beast to my father inplace of the new build i did for him. i found out the fault is a 90% chance to be a psu fault not being too punchy for whats under the hood.so HERES THE DEAL. I WAS GOING TO GET A NEW PSU CORSAIR HX 1000WATT but then i thought well since my baby of computer is now been swaped t keep my dad happy.instead paying nearly £200 for a psu why not go crazy build a i7 system. but as i always promise myself it has to be my last buid so.i want to know what parts would you fit under your hood.??? mainly im thinking about witch mobo.and the cpu.

at the moment im thinking
asus rampage 2 or asus supercomputer. this will be for games extracting decoding few movies useral ware tear.
as for cpu im not sure wot to go for i know the i5 are hyperthreading same as the i7.but theres huge crazy price tag between both sets

so come on give me your input please.. :bounce: 

More about : parts choose

March 25, 2010 6:40:00 PM

You don't need a 1000W PSU, period. Not now, not tommorow, not ever. Unless you're crossfiring 5970's, which is useless as not a single app stresses one out to max, you don't need it.

But all right, here are my two cents:

Do you need an i7-9XX system? The answer is unlikely to be yes. For gaming, the i5-750 and even the venerable AMD Phenom II X4 965 can easily keep up with any i7 on the market (as games are generally GPU-bound).

I would go for either an AMD 965 or an Intel i5-750. Pros and cons of both:

AMD:
-Better motherboards in my opinion
-Slightly cheaper
-Better future upgrade paths (AM3 is going to live for a long time, P55 won't get a lot of new goodies)
-High power consumption
-Not as good for overclocking

Intel:
-Great overclocker
-Low power consumption
-Somewhat more expensive
-Mediocre chipset
-Limited upgrade paths.

If you want my 2 cents, I'd go with the AMD 965, the best graphics card that suits your budget and a good Asus or Gigabyte motherboard.
March 25, 2010 8:19:04 PM

You definitely don't need 1000W, even for Crossfiring 5970s. 850W would be enough for anything you could throw at it.

I'm going to give you a few builds that are what I'm guessing is your price range (following the guidelines would be great, there's a link to them in my signature).

i7-930:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580
RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $180
GPU: HD 5850 $315
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24
HSF (if OC): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35

Total: $1,319

i5-750:

CPU: i5-750 and Asus P7P55D-E Pro $375
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5870 $420
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $90 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate

Total: $1,239

X4 955 (which is the same actual chip as the 965, so don't waste the money on the factory overclock):

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $265 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5970 $700
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $90 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate

Total: $1,374

Now to expalin the differences. The X4 955 build will destroy every game out there, even if you add two additional monitors for Eyefinity. It will not need to be upgraded within the next 5 years. It will be ready for six core CPUs, if you ever actually need them (you won't).

The i5-750 will play every current game at max details at 1900x. It will struggle in Eyefinity and will likely need to be upgraded in 3 to 4 years. The i5-750 (which doesn't have hyperthreading, but it doesn't matter) will be the most powerful CPU you could put in the build.

The i7-930 build will struggle with some of the higher details for some games at 1900x. Eyefinity is out of the question. You'll need to upgrade the GPU within two years. You would be able to drop in a six core CPU, but won't need. Basically, the i7-930 is build to be a massive number cruncher.
Related resources
March 26, 2010 3:53:11 PM

WOW - didnt expect much of a reply.
firstly cheers for the input.you guys know wot you want and you know your stuff.

now amd ive only ever had 1 amd chipset in my life of computers.mostly been intel for overclock and power so really i would like to still go for intel.thoe i do agree they are more money. IM GLAD I7's arnt a huge deal considering the i5 can be just as good for gaming. but it would need to be intel sorry!

i5-750 sounds good i just asumed the i5 at first was a lower benchmark to the i7.
IM NOT GOING TO GO MAD GET 1000W PSU THEN LOL.

my budget for this built will be around £500 that just for the cpu mainly and board.
all im concerned about is the mobo cpu and actually the vga yeh i have a ati 4870.512mb at the moment.
also i had a gigabyte board found them to be bit fussy when come to overclocking.as i found on a gigabyte socket 775 fatality

March 26, 2010 4:00:08 PM

in a nutshell if you guys can find me a intell mobo and chip than will gurantee me that i wont need to upgrade anytime soon ill be happy. but if i have to go get a AMD then i will. thanks for your posts keep them comming
March 26, 2010 4:35:05 PM

You're asking for the impossible. Intel upgrades their socket with every new techonology. The new hexa-core CPU is already out, so the next CPU they release is going to have a new socket (or at least will likely have a new socket). AMD is much more future proof, as they're sticking with the same socket for the next few years.

Given the budget for just the motherboard and CPU (what about RAM?), I would definitely go with the i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium.
March 26, 2010 4:51:04 PM

LOL I AGREE INTEL DO UPGRADE FASTER THAN IVE HAD HOT DINNERS.
thoe when i mean future proof i mean somert that keep games going for like 5 years i know i will perhaps need to upgrade my vga every soo often
but just somert that get me round my desktop without pull backs slowdowns. example extracting with WINRAR wile trying to browse the web play some music. as for ram im preppared to pay extra for that of course.in way of dolloars im guessin it be around $900 to you just for the cpu and board without the ram costs. SO YOU THINK THE I7.
the use of this pc is purely for bit gaming when my son lets me hes 1years old. and i do alot surfing and burning movies.
but mainly i just want to treat myself to a decent setup.
my previous computer was a asus P5Q-3 DELUXE 4GB DDR3 1600 AND A E6600 WITCH I PREVIOUSLY HAD A Q6600 BUT THAT WAS THE TIME I HAD A GIGABYTE FATALITY BOARD AND DIDNT LIKE OVERCLOCKING MY Q6600 SO I SWAPED FOR MY MATES E6600 WISH I HADNT.

MadAdmiral WROTE! I would definitely go with the i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium.. THANKS ..anymore ideas flying around glad to hear them.
!