Once partitioned is it just copy paste to boot?

tjc50

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I recently posted a question about partitioning but found out I was over analyzing this lol. Now once I create my new partition say for windows 7 and my updated drivers. Is it simply copy/paste, drag/drop to have this information put into the new section? Also is there a way to delete it from previous partition and have it boot from the new designated partition? I am confused, thank you for your time!

Windows must be installed, and you can not copy, nor paste drivers or programs from one windows installation to a 2nd windows installation.
Whendrivers and/or programs are installed they write entries into the windows registry. The only way windows knows that there are drivers and programs is when it loads it reads this registry.

tjc50

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Understandable, but if I create another partition can i simply do as state for general files, gaming, etc. Then only have OS on original partition? Just built first pc this is the only thing bothering me like crazy!

FOLDERS/FILES:
If you have a drive with single or multiple partions that has been properly formatted (i.e. NTFS) then you simply create folders, copy, paste etc.

Programs:
Most people only install to the main partition, typically C-drive. The exception to this is usually just installing GAMES such as when an SSD is used for Windows but it's too small.

For example:
Drive #1: SSD (contains Windows, programs etc)

Drive #2: Hard drive (has a "STEAM" folder for steam games and separate "GAMES" folder to install non-Steam games too.)

Drive #3: Hard drive (has various folders for Video, Pictures, Backups)

*The STEAM folder can be moved if need be. Any other game/program would have to be uninstalled completely then reinstalled if it had to be moved to another partition.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

New build? First build? Same here. This is the secret: Don't try to cut corners. Though there may be some way around it, just admit that you have to completely reinstall the OS each time you do something like this. It's not worth the hassle. Really this advice applies to the SSD installation problem: everyone tries to just copy it over, and you can't do that. That's the advice I give to myself or something. Just complete reinstall -- and then create a backup of the freshly installed OS and then OS+Programs or whatever you can.

If this doesn't exactly address your situation, I still want to put it out there. IMHO.

Let me add a word on WHY two people have already said "Don't do that."

When you install an application into Windows, unless it is a very polite "portable" application it will make entries in the Windows registry and possibly copy files to the /WINDOWS directory tree. Without these entries, which are definitely not in the registry and tree of your new install, the program will not work.

There are applications meant to help you migrate an installation and all of its settings from one machine to another, or from one OS drive to another in the same machine. I haven't done this for so many years that I can't recommend any particular one, or guarantee that they will work and not damage your system. The last one I used was PC mover, and it did a decent job, but that was before Win7 even came out!

Best of luck to you.

EDIT: On rereading the original post, it occurred to me that you may be moving the same OS in the same machine to a new drive. In that case, you can simply clone the drive, or use Windows backup and restore, and get your old OS back. Many experienced builders prefer fresh installs simply because they end up cleaner.

PS - do NOT clone from an HDD to an SSD.