Sign in with
Your question

RAID on GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5

Last response: in Motherboards
November 27, 2010 8:16:20 PM

Hi all,

Just ordered a new PC from iBuyPower with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5, 12 GB memory and a whole bunch of goodies. The delivery is expected in 7-10 days. Meanwhile, I have downloaded the motherboard manual and am reading it from cover to cover, wallowing in anticipation :) 

I plan to add two 2 TB drives (to ICH10R controller .. these are 3 GB/s drives) and configure tham as RAID1 (mirror). This would be my first time with RAIDS of any sort.

I have 2 questions:

1. If, for some reason, my BIOS gets hosed and I have to revert to the backup BIOS with default settings, how will get back to the way I was with my RAID1? Pages 87-94 of the mobo manual describes setting up the RAID for the first time .. which results in loss of all data on the disks. How do I get back to my RAID1 configuration if/when I have to re-configure the BIOS?

2. If one of my drives fails, and I replace it with a new drive, how do I get my RAID1 configuration back? Would it be enough to plug it in ans restart the system (and the RAID would get built automatically)?

Is there any documentation on issues related to RAID maintainance for the ICH10R and other controllers on the motherboard?

Thanks
Aloke

More about : raid gigabyte x58a ud5

November 27, 2010 8:27:17 PM

alokep said:
Hi all,

Just ordered a new PC from iBuyPower with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5, 12 GB memory and a whole bunch of goodies. The delivery is expected in 7-10 days. Meanwhile, I have downloaded the motherboard manual and am reading it from cover to cover, wallowing in anticipation :) 

I plan to add two 2 TB drives (to ICH10R controller .. these are 3 GB/s drives) and configure tham as RAID1 (mirror). This would be my first time with RAIDS of any sort.

I have 2 questions:

1. If, for some reason, my BIOS gets hosed and I have to revert to the backup BIOS with default settings, how will get back to the way I was with my RAID1? Pages 87-94 of the mobo manual describes setting up the RAID for the first time .. which results in loss of all data on the disks. How do I get back to my RAID1 configuration if/when I have to re-configure the BIOS?

2. If one of my drives fails, and I replace it with a new drive, how do I get my RAID1 configuration back? Would it be enough to plug it in ans restart the system (and the RAID would get built automatically)?

Is there any documentation on issues related to RAID maintainance for the ICH10R and other controllers on the motherboard?

Thanks
Aloke

Never mind about Q 2. above. Page 114 of the manual describes rebuiling the RAID after installing a new disk.

I am still puzzled about Q 1. How will get back to the data on the RAID volume if I lose my BIOS settings and have to re-enter the settings in the BIOS (or restore the BIOS)?

m
l
!