coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Strangely, this is the first thread I've started on these forums.

Anyway, I will be within range of a Microcenter next week, and I wanted to double-check to see if anyone knew about anything coming down the line on socket 1366 (other than hexa-core) that I should be aware of.

Additional details: I've already talked myself into an i7/1366 build (for gaming, virtualization, photoshop/gimp, etc.) that I'll be starting in a couple of months. Budget for the entire rig will be $2k+.

Should I order & pick up the i7-930 next week, or should I wait and buy it when I'm buying the rest of the build, in 2-3 months?

Solution
I would wait. The hexa-core is new, so it's affect on prices has happened yet. I wouldn't be surprised if everything dropped a bit (i.e. the i7-980X to $1,000, the i7-975 to less than $1K and so on). I wouldn't say the 930 is going to be a lot cheaper, but it certainly wouldn't be any higher.

Besides, there IS the chance you get a bad one. If you bought it now, you wouldn't know until it was too late.
I would wait. The hexa-core is new, so it's affect on prices has happened yet. I wouldn't be surprised if everything dropped a bit (i.e. the i7-980X to $1,000, the i7-975 to less than $1K and so on). I wouldn't say the 930 is going to be a lot cheaper, but it certainly wouldn't be any higher.

Besides, there IS the chance you get a bad one. If you bought it now, you wouldn't know until it was too late.

Solution

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I just got my 930 from micro center for 215 out the door. I could not pass the opportunity at that price. I replaced my 920 C0, I got plans for it put it in my backup pc. Same here waiting for R3E :bounce: . Currently micro center has 975 at 799.99 and 980X 999.99. But make sure that they have them in stock before you go and get one.