Cheap Versatile computer ?

Gringreazy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hello everyone,

Im interested in making a computer and would like to know what sort of input you guys may have on this. I would like to make 5 computers for this little thing my friend and i are doing, the computers i'd like to make would be economical and versatile capable of playing games but nothing state-of-the-art. Heres the tricky part though i'm kind of aiming at about a 150$ - 200$ price range per computer, however, the system is all i'm interested in at the moment no monitor included. i'm thinking:

mobo: 30$
processor: 30$
HD: 20 $
RAM:20$
Vid Card: <30$
powersupply: 20$
Case:30$

Extra:20$

this is just a brainstorm i've been having. I'd like to have the processors run more than 1000mhz at the bare minimum, i may be able to go without the cd drive at the moment, and on board LAN would be a plus if i can find a motherboard thats cheap and supports that. Finding a cheap HD is probably the hardest part if anyone knows where i can find preferrably a 30 gb HD for that amount, however, if you know of any deals on a 20 gb for that amount that would be fine if it can be found (and of course if you can find more than that for that amount that would be a PLUS :pt1cable: ). Thanks, and feel free to contstructively critisize...

-Gringreazy

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
At this budget, you're unlikely going to get better than an Intel Atom and even that will be close. May I recommend saving till roughly $350? At that point, far superior options become available that will last significantly longer and make your computing experience a lot less frustrating...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228 Something like this might work, an Atom CPU(-ish thingy), ION GPU(-ish thingy) and windows XP. It will work, that's about it. Don't even think of running a more recent OS on it unless you replace the 1GB stick with a 2GB one.

Gringreazy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Thank you very much, those machines do look pretty reasonable your advice will be very helpful thank you.