Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler maybe faulty

Last response: in Overclocking
February 5, 2013 9:03:18 PM

Please can anyone advise me as to whether or not my CPU cooler maybe faulty. I have just put together a system as listed here:
i7-3770K
Asus P8Z77-M PRO
Sapphire Radeon HD7750
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
Arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2
ANTEC One

But on first Boot (Without operating System or drives) the CPU fan made a rumble sort of slight noise and then I received a CPU fan error and the fan kept stopping. I looked at the Bios monitor and CPU fan seemed to be going at random high and low speeds. I adjusted the the fan speed limit and Q Fan Control, but the fan still showed as spinning at really random high and low speeds. Rebooted the computer 3 times and the problem was still the same, but on the 4th reboot the fan showed as working normally at a consistent temperature around 35 degrees. I also had to mount the heat sink just below the top exhaust fan in a Antec One case due to lack of space which I am slightly concerned about.

Thanks in advance for any advice

More about : cpu cooler faulty

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 9:51:33 PM

It could be one of two reasons/problems:
1. The fan is faulty or screwed up and a real fix is replacing the fan
2. Its the motherboards fan connector/controller issue

The way to test which one it is is plugging the fan into a different fan connector on the motherboard. like into a case fan connector on the mb. Also plugging the fan into a different motherboard should give you very accurate picture of whats going on. If it is still behaving strangely like you described in a different fan connector and in a different motherboard all together, you know 100% that the fan is messed up.

In that case, replace the fan itself or replace/rma the cooler with the fan altogether.

hope this helps, Good Luck! ;) 
February 6, 2013 4:10:12 PM

Thanks for the advice

I think I will replace just the fan anyway just to make sure. Does any know if this fan is OK mounted just below a top exhaust fan?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 5:09:48 PM

It's ok to mount it below an exhaust fan... but you may need to mount the fan backwards so it pulls from behind rather than pushing. And the air that it pulls out will go right up through the exhaust fan.
February 14, 2013 5:28:57 PM

videl said:
It's ok to mount it below an exhaust fan... but you may need to mount the fan backwards so it pulls from behind rather than pushing. And the air that it pulls out will go right up through the exhaust fan.

Sorry only just seen your post

Thanks for the good advice
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 3:02:47 AM

yeah no problem, if you have any more questions post and well try to help you out ;) 
!